Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:59 AM   #11
Administrator

Well, Lexar High Speed 32x SD Cards used to have the same codes on the cards as the Panasonic SD, indicating the same components were being used. But, I have seen a user report getting a made in the U.S. Lexar 32x Card. So, they may have a different component supplier now, or could be making them in house (and 32x is much slower than 60 or 66x, if the ratings are accurate on newer cards and they're not using the same components in them).

Personally, I'd buy it if the price were right. I strongly suspect that it would be just as fast as the 60x type cards (but I can't tell you that for sure).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:18 PM   #12

Glad I could help, Vitor

Well, to add to my info... I just bought a regular Sandisk 1GB card... It performs as flawlessly as my 512MB does.

FYI, I'm pretty sure that these are "new stock" cards (I work in a Photo-Electronics dept. and we just got new shipments about a month ago).
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:54 PM   #13

At some point isn't a camera incapable of pushing these 18MB/sec cards?..like the Sony V3 with an ExtremeIII MSPro card-is it even worth putting in a Prosumer model like a V3 or G6? I have an ultra II CF in the V3 that claims 10MB/sec write but it takes 12.5/sec to write a RAW file about 18MB...somethings a bottle neck in the process, huh? Thanks for any help in understanding this.
korbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:30 PM   #14

Yes, it has been the case with CF cards for a while that the majority of cameras can't write the data as fast as the CF cards can take it.

The same is (or will be) true with SD cards as well. And since the cards (CF & SD) are getting bigger, cheaper, and faster all the time it isn't really worth buying faster than your camera can handle because when you get the new camera (that might leverage that speed) the odds are that a much better card will be availabe for less.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:39 AM   #15

Thanks. I was thinking the same way. The Sony MSPro stick (MSX512S- black) writes at 15Mbps/sec or 1.875MB/sec which equates to a 9.6 second write of an 18MB RAW shot, this is actually how long it really does take to complete that task. This leads me to believe that perhaps Sony has optimized the V3 to write higher speeds via MSPro media.

The new MSPro High Speed now available writes at 80Mbps/sec or 10MB...Hmmm. I think I'll give that a try- sub 2 seconds to write 18MB RAW sounds really good to me. Any thoughts?
korbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:40 PM   #16

Sounds logical to me... Until you start taking multiple shots before the pics are fully written to the card: Then the camera's buffer speed comes into play
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:32 PM   #17

:idea: Man am I glad to hear this subject brought up. I have been trying to research this for days about the new San Disk Extreme III cards with a 20mbs read speed. I have a Pentax Optio 43 wr and I do Whitewater Kayaking photography and I have found a trick way to get good shots is to set the camera in continuous shooting mode and when a subject is about to go into an awsome action sequence on a wave or waterfall then review back and select the best shot. This camera has a delay speed for shooting that always messes me up. So of course I want to speed up the continuous shooting mode any way I can.
moh2o is offline   Reply With Quote