Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:17 AM   #1

Yesterday, I have ordered Canon IXUS 30 with 1GB SanDisk SD card. Did I made a mistake? Will this card work properly in unlimited movie mode?

I saw that there is SanDisk Ultra II SD card, after I made my order. Is it mach better than standard SanDisk SD card?
nad_tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:24 PM   #2

Sandisk Ultra II should be faster.

You can always return the Sandisk regular card.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:35 PM   #3

Yes I am afraid you wil need the Sandisk Ultra for movies at 30 and 60fps (as per Canons intructions)
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:37 PM   #4
hbh

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6459-7253

The Extreme III is the best, if you have the money.
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:24 PM   #5

Your regular Sandisk SD card is a lot slower than the Sandisk Ultra II SD:

Sandisk SD cards:
Sandisk (red & blue) (8x)
Sandisk Ultra (16x)
Sandisk Ultra II, 256M, 512M (60-66x)

Sandisk CF cards:
Sandisk (red & blue) (20x)
Sandisk Ultra (40x)
Sandisk Ultra II, 256M, 512M, 1G, 2G, 4G, 8G (60-66x)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:18 PM   #6

I own the SD200 (North American version of the IXUS 30) and I have a regular Sandisk 512MB card in it (the red & blue label). It works fine with all the video modes. I've taken full-minute 60fps VGA vids and full-card 30fps VGA vids. All were flawless.

I think Canon was being pessimistic in their manuals. :
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 6:10 PM   #7

nullshark wrote:
Quote:
I own the SD200 (North American version of the IXUS 30) and I have a regular Sandisk 512MB card in it (the red & blue label). It works fine with all the video modes. I've taken full-minute 60fps VGA vids and full-card 30fps VGA vids. All were flawless.

I think Canon was being pessimistic in their manuals. :
I'm not sure about the SD200 but for the S1 IS, it really depends on the serial number for the lower speed. Some people did some tests where some Sandisk regular cards failed while others succeeded. If the SD line is similar to the S1 IS, then I would only get the Ultra (or something around 40x speed; you don't really need 80x). The low speed cards may be problematic while the 40x+ are pretty much "guaranteed" to work...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:18 AM   #8

nullshark, you just solved my problem... i'm from Brasil and I bought a canon sd200... I was looking for a SD card that would work poperly to making 30 and 60 fps videos, and I was wondering if a regular Sandisk wuold be fine for me, beacause canon's manual says that we must use hi-speed SD cards to make videos without problems....

but, as you said, you didn't had any problem to make videos (30 and 60fps) with the regular sandisk SD card?

i'm looking for a 1gb model...

regards,
Vitor Isaia
Brasil
Vitor Isaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:37 AM   #9
Administrator

It's probably dependent on luck..

Some of the standard Sandisk SD Cards are very slow (their standard cards had a reputation for being the slowest in > 128mb size, compared to standard cards from Panasonic and Toshiba -- with the Panasonic standard cards being3-4 times as fast in larger sizes).

In smaller sizes (128mb or smaller), most were always very slow from Sandisk, Panasonic and Toshiba (although even some smaller cards could be using faster components now).

The "Big 3" SD Manufacturers were Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk, with most other manufacturers using rebranded components. The difference is that the other two manufacturers used faster components in larger sizes, but Sandisk did not for the standard speed cards.

So, if you used a brand using the same components as Sandisk Standard Cards, you'd get a very slow card, or if you used a brand with the same components as Panasonic Standard Cards (for example Simpletech, or Lexar's 32x), you'd get a very fast card.

But, you have to be careful, as some manufacturers were known to use more than one component supplier. For example, some of the Lexar Standard (verus 32x high speed) SD cards used the same components as Sandisk standard cards and were slow, but some used the same components as Panasonic standard cards and were very fast.

But, Sandisk seems to be using faster components in some of their newer SD Cards.

For example, Rob Gailbraith tested a new 1GB Sandisk Standard Card that was virtually identical in speed to the Ultra II and Extreme Cards in this test:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6894

Yet, if you look atmost testsof their standard cards, they are VERY slow. Check out some of the card reader tests here as an example. Note that the Lexar High Speed 32x Card was 3 to 4 times as fast as the Sandisk Standard SD:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_..._mcr-usb2.html

So, it depends on whether or not you get a slow one, or a fast one. Manufacturers have been known to use the same fast components in their standard cards from time to time as they do in their high speed cards.

I suspect that with newer cards, you've got a good chance of getting a fast one now. But, you're still taking your chances (you may get one that's usingslow components buying a Standard speed card).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:11 AM   #10

I know this is an old topic, but I just bought a Minolta Z2 with 30fps movie mode at 640 by 480 resolution.

Onegig Lexar 32x cards are on sale this week at Future Shop, and your post says they are basically Panasonic, which is what the 16 mb was that shipped with the camera (albeit that one is standard speed). Will this be fast enough to capture non stop video at this resolution and compression combination, or should I pay twice as much for their ATP 60x cards?

Hope you are still "watching" this board.

Cheers.
wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote