Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1

I was recently on holidays and had taken over 150 lovely shots but all of a sudden my Nikon 3100 wouldn't read my card. Ive tried my card in other cameras with no joy.

Any ideas on how I can repair the card???????

Mikebyrne000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Better define what you mean. Do you get an error message?

When you attach the camera to your PC, can your PC see it as a removable drive? Do you get errors (i.e., card needs formatting, etc.), or does it just not see the card at all?

Do you have a card reader?

The first thing you'll need to do is get it so that your PC can recognize the card as a removable drive. That way, you can usually recover the photos using image recovery software (some good ones are even free).

If your PC can recognize the card, then you've got most of the battle won. If it recognizes it but tells you that it needs formatting, all is still not lost (you can usually format the card, making sure to use FAT at the file system, and still recover the images). If it's not recognized at all, even when using a card reader, then you're usually out of luck.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:31 AM   #3

You can try ImageRecall by FlashFixers.com
A recovery utility you can download for about $40.
(I purchased the disc by mail so I have a hard copy)
It saved my tail once, and once is more then enough.

I bumped the trigger release on my canon 1Ds as I was climbing a ladder and turned the camera off while it was writing to the card, NOT GOOD.

The card would not mount, but ImageRecall recovered the files.
The card was toasted, but I got the files back.

Good Luck.
Mike Nykoruk
MikeNykoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:36 AM   #4

I may have mispoken regarding the "would not mount" statement. I don't recall if it wouldn't mount or required a formating message. But I did recover the files.
If only someone would make "MemoryRecall" software, they would be rich and I would recall what the details were. :>)

Mike Nykoruk
MikeNykoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:23 PM   #5

My Nikon 3100 say that it cannot read the card. I tried the card in a digital photo machine too and it couldnt read it.

Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:26 PM   #6
Administrator

To repeat my last post:

When you attach the camera to your PC, can your PC see it as a removable drive? Do you get errors (i.e., card needs formatting, etc.), or does it just not see the card at all?

In other words, what happens when you connect your camera via the USB cable to your PC? Be specific about what happens. You should see it under "My Computer" as a removable drive if it is recognized. If so, what errors do you get when you double click on the drive to pull up a listing of the contents?

The first thing you'll need to do is get it so that your PC can recognize the card as a removable drive. That way, you can usually recover the photos using image recovery software (some good ones are even free).

If your PC can recognize the card, then you've got most of the battle won. If it recognizes it but tells you that it needs formatting, all is still not lost (you can usually format the card, making sure to use FAT at the file system, and still recover the images). If it's not recognized at all, even when using a card reader, then you're usually out of luck.

Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:37 PM   #7

It doesnt read that card on my pc but it reads my others
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:41 PM   #8
Administrator

Mike....

I'm trying to help. But, you're going to have to work with me and answer my questions.I need to know if it shows up as a removable drive, and exactly what errors you get when you click on that drive letter if it does show up.

One more time:

In other words, what happens when you connect your camera via the USB cable to your PC? Be specific about what happens. You should see it under "My Computer" as a removable drive if it is recognized. If so, what errors do you get when you double click on the drive to pull up a listing of the contents?

Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:45 PM   #9

It doesnt read that card as a removable drive. It say "please insert disk" But all my other cards are readable
Old Oct 15, 2004, 1:52 PM   #10
Administrator

Mike:

What is saying "Please insert disk", and when? Are you using software to transfer your photos (Nikon Capture, etc.)?

If so, if it has a "Cancel Button" when you get the message, use it (cancel out of it).

I need to know if you see a drive letter for your camera under "My Computer" when it's connected via USB. What Operating System are you using (Windows 98, Windows XP)?

You should be able to "double click" on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and see a list of your drives.

First, tell me if your camera shows up as one when you do this, and let me know what drive letter it is (D, E, F, etc.)

If it does show up, also let me know what error Windows gives you when you double click on the drive letter for your camera.

Also, do you have a card reader?