Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:07 PM   #1

Hi all, I'm new to the boards, but have been playing with cameras for a while hope to learn allot of hopefully offer a bit of advice myself

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to use with my new FZ20. I can get a 1GB standard Sandisk card for £60 but for £50 I can get a ULTRAII 512MB

Will I see a massive difference in camera performance with the faster card? Download times to the computer arent really an issue and would my money be better spend and saved...lol on a 1GB card for the extra storage (which would be nice)

If it helps, I mainly do single shot work, I do however sometimes use the Motor drive to capture fast moving/action shots
What are peoples thoughts? are these cards over rated for what I need? will I really see the difference that Sandisk and the online stores claim?

Thanks
~Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:39 AM   #2
Administrator

If you use burst mode, your times between bursts will be signficantly faster using a fast card with the DMC-FZ20, from user reports I've seen.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you use burst mode, your times between bursts will be signficantly faster using a fast card with the DMC-FZ20, from user reports I've seen.

Ok Thanks, But do you think I'll notice any huge difference on normall shot to shot stuff. ya know. Bang, re-frame the shot, bang that kind of thing
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Administrator

Probably not Rob. The biggest benefit is going to come when the internal buffer fills up (as when shooting multiple photos in rapid succession, like a burst mode would do).

I'd shop around some and get the faster card if possible though. Someone on another forum recently mentioned that Costco had the 1GB Sandisk Ultra II cards for around $95.00 if memory serves.

So, you may be able to find a better deal in Europe, too.

In the past, the Sandisk Standard SD cards have been pretty slow (with fast cards testing 3 to 4 times as fast in card readers). Some models have also had compatibility problems with the Sandisk Standard Cards, causing intermittent corrupted files, usually followed by a failure of the cards to format (although I have not seen this reported with Panasonic users). I think that their standard SD cardsprobably a little faster and more compatible than they used to be. However, their Ultra II cards should still be MUCH faster.

So, if you can find one at a good price, I'd spend a few extra bucks on the faster card.

You may also want to check prices on the Simpletech cards (they use Panasonic components in larger sizes, and these are also very fast). Lexar's "High Speed" cards are also fast.

Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the info

The funny thing is the 1GB standard card exactly works out about only $15 more expensive than a 512MB UltraII. so I may go for that considering t will double my storage which is maybe better than a speed increase I will rarely really take advantage of.

I'll have a look around now at those other brands you mentioned now and see what I can get

Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:29 PM   #6

Prices are plummeting on Sandisk Ultra II.

Look around at major online stores.

You can get some great buys right now.

No, I cannot give a specific URL. That is definitely discouraged on this forum.

Happy Hunting
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:58 AM   #7

Ok just been browsing one place and I can get 512MB of Kingston SD for £28 :shock:

I know Kingston has a good name in PC Memory, what are there SD cards like?

Thanks again for the help
Old Oct 17, 2004, 6:37 PM   #8
Administrator

Kingston SD cards are normally rebranded Sandisk components (the slow type).