Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:00 PM   #1

I've decided on the Sony W1 (kinda lost interest in the A95 and Samsung V50/V70) and gonna get a 512 mem stick...

however, I would want to know whether there is a speed difference between the sony memory stock pro, the Sandisk Ultra II memory stick pro(model no SDMSPH-512-xxx), and the standard sandisk memory stick (model no SDMSPD-512-xxx).

Of course the standard sandisk version is 40% cheaper than sony but the ultras are about the same price.

Additionally, can anyone confirm that there isn't a limitation on the 512mb (like on the 256 mem sticks where is was not 1*256 but 2*128)??

Thanks

Kj
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:29 PM   #2

The 2x128meg you refer to is the memory stick duo or memory stick pro duo which isa doublesided memory stick.

I have the same question about the Sandisk sticks. I need a 512 for my F717 and I need to know if it is worth spending the extra $20 on the Ultra II. $20 is not that much in $ but in South African rand it makes quite a difference.

The W1 does not need the extra speed (does not have the features to make use of it) in my opinion so you are safe to go for the standard sandisk one.

As for Sony sticks. You pay for the name. I use Sandisk and Apacer and I am very happy with both brands.

Cheers
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:59 AM   #3

thanks for the reply

Can i safely assume that the sandisk ultras make no difference to the standard pro's with the sony w1?

kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:03 AM   #4

I think the ultra II will allow a bit quicker save times on the camera. IMHO the save times are pretty good already if you just shoot single frames at a time. When doing burst 3 the save times seem a little slow.

Maybe see if you cant test both types before deciding.

Cheers
Maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:36 PM   #5
hbh

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6459-7253

The Extreme III is beating Sony's. Check the test (link above). There is no other choice than this SD/Memory Stick/CF.
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote