Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:51 AM   #1

Hello guys and gals ...

First let me say, great forum! I have been reading a bit this morning and am impressed with the wealth of information that is shared here!

Here is my dilemna:

I purchased an Olympus D-480 Zoom about 4 days ago. Upon first purchasing the camera, I took a couple of sample shots, and used the direct USB Cable, along with the Camedia software that was included to transfer the pictures to my PC, without a glitch.

The first day was the only good day.

The next time I attempted to do the same, the software would not read the photos from the camera, sayind "Device not Ready".

So, I instinctively, uninstalled the software, and reinstalled it. No luck.

I then purchased a 256MB Sandisk XD picture card, snapped a few photos, and again ... no luck.

I then uninstalled Windows SP2 (assuming that perhaps a compatibility issue had occured, as it has with other software applications) ... NO LUCK.

Since then I have purchased the Sandisk SDDR-88, 8 in 1 card reader ... NO LUCK.

Windows is indicating a USB Mass Storage Device working properly, whether the camera is hooked up, or the card reader ... either one.

I have installed Tweak UI to attempt to configure it to autoplay either device when connected ... NO LUCK.

Now again, in short ...

*The camera (by all indications) is working properly ...
*I can take photos on the 16MB card that came with the camera, as well as taking photos with the 256MB card that I purchased
*Pictures taken CAN be viewed in the camera
*The first time I used it I COULD transfer the images to the PC
*I am now unable to transfer images to PC
*I have tried reformatting the cards through the camera, which has been successful, but will not read on the PC
*I have tried to format from the PC, and the operation can not be completed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Remedies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... as I am (still) waiting for a reply from the tech people at Olympus.
FischInMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Is it only the Autoplay that's not working properly (do the devices show up as removable drives)?

If they can't be seen and read as removable drives under "My Computer", have you checked to make sure you don't have a hardware problem (bad USB port, or cable loose at the USB connectors in your PC causing errors)?

You could also have a conflict with another USB Device or Driver. I've had conflicts with HP's printer monitor from time to time.

Do other USB devices work?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:09 AM   #3

Hi, JimC ... thanks for the reply ...

I have had no problems with other USB devices ...

Both the camera and/or the card reader will show up as removable drives in "My Computer" when connected ...

I have also tried it in different USB ports, through a hub, and about any other way I could think of to connect ...

I did not however, consider the chance of conflicting with some other USB device (have an HP scanner hooked up, for example) ... so I will try disconnecting all other USB accessories to see if there is any positive result ... will post results.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4

JimC ...

You hit the nail right on the head ...

Apparently the camera and/or card reader was conflicting with some other device connected to the PC, because after disconnected other accessories, I am able to access the files without a glitch, format cards, etc ...

Thank you very much for your insight!

Still no reply from the folks at Olympus ... I'm sure they're scratching their heads still (as was I)! :-)
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:38 AM   #5
Administrator

FischInMich wrote:
Quote:
JimC ...

You hit the nail right on the head ...

Apparently the camera and/or card reader was conflicting with some other device connected to the PC, because after disconnected other accessories, I am able to access the files without a glitch, format cards, etc ...

Thank you very much for your insight!

I've got an HP Scanner and Printer, and they do seem tosome trouble as far as conflicting with other devices from time to time. I leave the Scanner unplugged unless I need it for anything. Even then, HP's printer monitor can cause troubles.

I'm probably going to have my share of problems later this week. I ordered a new PC last night, and I already got a confirmation e-mail that it shipped this morning.

I'm going totry and yank one of the drives out of my existing PC and setup a dual boot arrangement. Getting everything working properly this way is probably going to be a big chore.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6

Egad ... well I certainly don't envy you ... have fun with that one! :O