Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:30 AM   #1

Purchased my Canon Powershot 1S IS 7 days ago. Went to put in a new larger memory card...had label facing up as per directions, but wrong side facing in towards camera. A stupid mistake I'll grant you, but being new to digital cameras I was not aware of the type of connection made between camera and card. And there is absolutely no mention in the instructions of these delicate pins and being sure to have the proper side (with the tiny holes) lined up before inserting the card.Took camera back to Best Buy...no help, see ya later...send it to Canon! QUESTIONS: am I the only idiot to do this, and do you think Canon will fix the bent pins under warranty?:angry:
dakwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your problems. You must have really had to have jammed that CF card in there to put it in the wrong way. The design of the CF card precludes it being put in the wrong way so I think maybe you put it in the right way but slightly cocked. The S1 has a Type II CF card slot which can accept the thinner CF cards and the thicker Microdrives. If you're not careful you caninsert the cardwith it cocked part way between the Type I and Type II portion of the guide rails. It doesn't slide real easy unless it is properly aligned but (as you know now) it can be semi-forced into the camera this way. The camera mates to the CF card with two rows of small pins that fits the socket holes in the card.

When you took it back to BestBuy you probably gave them too much information. Just say "Duh, I dunno why it doesn't work - fix it or replace it please."
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I am at times a bit to honest for my own good. And since I have arrived at digital photography after years of film photography including a degree in photo-communications, one of the first rules I learned in handling photo equipment, is not to FORCE anything.I had the label up as per instructions, but did not notice that I had put the smaller side of the card in towards the camera.I did not think I was forcing it, but obviously never having installed a CF card before, I had no idea of how much force(or lack thereof) was required to push it into the slot.I noticed the play in the card but just assumed that it would at some point tighten-up and be guided into the proper position. All this could have been avoided if Canon in its 163 page user guide had included the warning to insert the card with the proper side facing the camera, which they did not.Also, the user guide states that the card slot type is Type 1. Anyway, thanks again for the info.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:41 PM   #4
Administrator

You can see on pg2 of our Canon S1 IS review that it is definitely a CF Type II card slot, it can use both solid state CF cards and the thicker Type II Microdrives. See the picture below. The best way to insert a CF card is with very light pressure, if it is aligned properly (pin holes facing inward) it will generally glide into the slot with no resistance.

Here you can see the physical height (thickness) difference between a Type II (on the left) and a Type I CF card. You can also see the difference in the size of the guide slot on the right and left sides of the card, one is about twice as wide as the other, this helps toprevent inserting a card upside down.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:01 PM   #5

insted of sending it to canon, if you dont want to worry about hurting your camera (any further), you could have taken a couple of screws out, and bent the pins back with tiny twesers(sp?)

i once droped a VERY expensive cpu(an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (939)if i remember right)for a computer i was working on onto a conrete floor, and bent about 20-25 pins, but i straitned them up so they were as good as new in abour 1/2 hour...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:41 PM   #6

As you have aptly demonstrated with the CF card slot size, the Canon user guide is lacking in crucial and helpful infomation. Let's hope the camera, when and if I get it back performs better than the guide that came with it. Thanks again.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:50 PM   #7

I thought about that momentarily, but realized I wasn't exactly batting 1000 in the "taking care of my camera" department and decided to let Canon do it (hopefully under warranty.) Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:33 PM   #8

Got my camera back from Canon. They fixed it under warranty and it seems just fine.They really stand behind their products...THANKS TO CANON!