Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:28 PM   #1

I am just about ready to purchase a Canon S60. Now I am a little hesitant which CompactFlash cards to buy.

Are there any significant advantages in using high speed cards in a S60?

The shop in which I have decided to purchase the S60 promotes CF cards with the shopsown brand. As far as I understand (I am expat living in Paris and my French is far from fluent yet) these CF cards contains either Kignston, Samsung or Toshiba chipset

Should I avoid no-name CF cards? In case yes, please let me know which brands I should stick to.

The purchase ofthe S60is triggered by my wifes an my hopefully soon adoption of a child from Bolivia.

Thanks a lot

Uffe
Uffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:17 PM   #2

Good luck with your child... I hope you guys enjoy the child

I'm not sure what the specs on the S60 are but generally, the memory card only comes into play if you are recording videos (or shooting high speed film, like with DSLRs). Video requires high speed cards but normal pictures generally do not.

I would avoid no-name brands since the price difference usually isn't that much. But if you are buying from a store with its own brand, it may not be a bad idea--assuming that you can return them if they don't work (check this).

Also make sure you buy a card that will hold a sizeable number of pics that your camera produces. Check how big the highest quality picture is (in megabytes) and buy appropriately.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 3:24 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

It's quite funny. I got a call from my wife today at work. She told me that I as of today can consider myself father of a 3½ month old baby girl from Bolivia.

I got myself a live target for my photo practising. :|

Uffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4

Make sure you take all the pictures you can of the baby... because once they grow up, they don't like volunteering to be your photo-geniea-pig
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5

Congratulations on becoming a father!

On the card front I would recommend using Sandisk or Lexar - both are excellent from personal experience. I recommend getting at least a 512mb or even a 1gb - the 1gb ultra ii can be gotten for under $100 now. I don't think you'll see a big benefit from high speed but I would stick to the name brands. newegg.com is a great source of CF cards.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote