Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 27, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

One of the cameras I used most often is my Canon Powershot S1 IS that I have had for over a year now. For most of this time all I used was a 256mb Viking memory card. To download my pictures I just plugged the camera into the USB port and XP's transfer program did the rest. Life was good.

Recently I purchased a 512mb card as I had decided to start taking the largest pictures my S1 would take. Everything is fine until I plug the camera into the USB port. The XP transfer program did not start automatically as it usually did and when I started it manually it tells me that there are no pictures in the camera to transfer.

So I take the card out and put it in the card reader and there the pictures are. So I transfer the pictures, put the card back in the camera, reformat the card, take some test pictures and plust the camera back in. Still no pictures found by the transfer program. Put the card in the card reader and there they are.

So then I put the 256mb card back in do the test and the transfer works fine. So what is it about the 512mb card that prevents the XP Transfer software from working? Is there any thing that can be done?

Mark

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:11 PM   #2

I'll be buying S1 IS soon... hope it's a good camera ... anyway...

I am guessing that the problem is with the card itself. Is it from a good manufacturer? Does it come with software that allows you to format it or test it in any way?

I know people don't recommend this but try formatting it in windows and seeing if the camera works ok with it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 5:50 AM   #3

All my CF cards are made by Viking Components. I started using this card straight out of the box and when I ran into this situation I tried formating it to see if that was the problem. But alas, it was not.

I was thinking about this last night and decided that I must have configured my card reader to do nothing when a card is inserted. So tonight I'll re-configure it to start the XP wizard and see what happens. I suspect the problem lies in XP not the card or the camera.

Mark

Old Oct 28, 2004, 3:07 PM   #4

Test #1:
OK, by updating the profile on the card reader and on the camera they both now open the camera & scanner wizard when they detect the 512 card. Unfortunately nothing changes. When the wizard starts with the camera the screen in file CFcardCam1 appears. Notice it says that there aren't any pictures on the card. Yet if I take the card out of the camera and put it in the card reader I get the screen shown in file CFcardReader1, that shows the 4 pictures that are on the card.

Test #2:
Tried plugging the camera into the USB port on my wifes' PC (which is also a WIN XP) and it works fine! It reads the 512 card and shows the 4 pictures.

So what is the difference is the wizard between the PCs. But the wizard works fine on my PC with any other card.

So what is wrong? I see no preference settings for this wizard or any other differences between the 2 PC's. :?
Attached Images

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:19 AM   #5

See if both of you have the same version of windows (i.e. service pack number; sometimes the service packs fix stuff that you never heard of)... To get thte service pack, just right-click on my computer and select properties. It will say Service Pack 1 or 2 or whatever...

You can also try uninstalling any compact flash drivers or software (that perhaps came bundled with the CF), and then re-install them...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:06 PM   #6

Both PC's are on SP1 and the problem occured before I loaded any of the camera drivers and software. (I thought maybe the driver was the problem so I installed it but the result was the same.)

Today I tried a different USB port on my PC, a 1.1 and a 2.0 to no effect. And tried changing cables. Nada.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:25 PM   #7

MrCoons...

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Viking card.

Btw, I never use USB cable.

Too many connections between PC and dig cam for me.

I always use a card read with no prob over multiple OS and multiple media.

The hours you spend trying to debug the USB could be better used, perhaps, by shooting photos

Life is too short to let a USB conflict take up your time, IMHO!

Btw, I am a Sandisk man
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:34 PM   #8

Digcamfan, thanks for the post. I've gone both ways reader and camera direct. My SanDisk reader has hosed over my cards in the past and rather than try to figure out the cause of that problem I went back to pulling them straight from the camera. Which was working great until I got this new 512 card. But it hasn't been any big problem I just put the 512 in the reader and copy them from there.

The SanDisk reader is a USB device the same as the camera so technically there isn't any difference in the two other than how XP 'sees' them.

But you are correct - let's get back to taking pictures! (But I hate these little nagging problems!:-))

Mark