Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:08 AM   #1

DOes anyone know of a decent adapter that I can plug the adapter into a SmartMedia slot, and plug another type of card into the adapter? I am aware of one or two that support plugging in an XD card, but I would like one that will let me plug a CompactFlash card into it.

I know of adapters that will let me plug a SmartMedia into the adapter and plug the adapter into a CompactFlash slot, but I want to go the other direction (plug in a CompactFlash card, and plug it into a SmartMedia slot). I would mainly be using this for my mp3 recorder.

Speaking of cameras (for example Canon S1 IS) I'm thinking about getting a CompactDrive for external storage (speed and battery life although I woudl like a few other features but at this time am willing to sacrifice) but I can't really afford that right now. I was wondering, though, what's been the latest trend / prices on 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB CompactFlash cards that are fast enough (for example Sandisk Ultra II or Lexar 80x) for continuous video recording on the Canon S1 IS)? When I am ready to get something (may be as early as the week before X-mas (and if Xmas falls on/near a weekend it would be during the middle or beginning of the week before that)) I would like to preferably pay no more than the average cost for a 4GB or 5GB microdrive, or maybe 10 to 20% more. I'd also be nice to be able to have 2 identical CF cards, so while I'm transferring one to the compactdrive I can be using the other to shoot pics/videos.
Yes I know I should get a video camera, but I have yet to find one for the cost of the Canon S1 IS that records to full-size (5") DVD's, has at least a 1/1.8" or 2/3" sensor and a lens that will go to a F/2.0 aperture, and the same focal length range as a Panasonic FZ20, and is about the size of most current mid-sized camcorders (not compact, but not professional).
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:31 AM   #2

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
DOes anyone know of a decent adapter that I can plug the adapter into a SmartMedia slot, and plug another type of card into the adapter?
The problem is the size differential. A smartmedia card is thinnest memory card and it's also small...if it was available you'd have this big CF card sticking out of your MP3 recorder that could be knocked out or broken off easily. Also Smartmedia had a 128meg limitation (the reason why Olympus/Fuji went to xD technology).

Either you'll have to look at a different MP3 recorder, or live with what you got and take advantage of the sales of 128meg smartmedia cards.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:47 PM   #3

If I knew of a good mp3 recorder that had at least 512MB memory for under $150 that used the LAME encoder and supported compactflash (or another type of memory preferably with a price per gigabyte comparable to DVD (when bought in bulk packages (like 50 disc spindles for example)), I'd consider getting one.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote