Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:36 AM   #1

I just bought a Dimage XT and wanted to take full advantage of the memory dependent video feature.

Which 1 GB SD card as anyone tried that works? The minolta site has the following compatibility info:

Tested
SD Memory Card

Panasonic
RP-SD series
8/16/32/64/128/256/512MB

TOSHIBA
SD series
32/64/128/256MB

San Disk
SDSDB series
16/32/64/128MB

The camera also supports MultiMedia Cards that i am not interested in but there is an asterisk that worries me in general:

*6:
Notes in movie recording by MultiMedia Card:
Depending on MultiMedia Card models, this model may prevent an entire movie clip from being recorded regardless of free space on the memory card, due to restriction of writing speed from the camera to the memory card.

Could anyone help by telling me if I could use the full 1 GB space for hypothetically one continuous movie clip, and if so which one would they recommend/hace used.

thanks in advance.
Darlix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator

With supported Secure Digital Cards, the camera allows unlimited length movies (320x240 at 15 frames per second). I see that Sandisk SD is only approved at sizes through 128mb; Toshiba and Sandisk only in 256mb size, and Panasonic only in 512mb size.

Whether this is for speed purposes, or compatibility purposes is unclear (Panasonic's standard SD cards in larger sizes are MUCH faster than the Sandisk Standard Cards). Some models did have a problem with Sandisk Cards in larger sizes. I've got a Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500). Konica-Minolta used to approve Sandisk SD Cards in smaller sizes (through 128mb), with specific warnings that using the Sandisk 256mb SD Card could cause the camera to malfunction with errors. However, they have since removed all Sandisk Secure Digital Cards, in all sizes from the list of tested cards for my model.

Personally, I don't use the movie functions on still cameras I've owned (the amount of space required and poor quality is just not worth it to me). Yet, some users like this feature.

As for the note at the bottom of the chart, Multi-media Cards are different (since they are much slower than Secure Digital Cards, even compared to slow Secure Digital Cards like the Sandisk Standard Speed Cards).

The bigger question would be if a 1GB Secure Digital Card would work in the camera or not. I can't find anyone that's tried one. The compatibility chart is from 2003,where they tested cards from the "Big 3" SD Manufacturers (Toshiba, Sandisk and Panasonic jointly developed Secure Digital, and most other manufacturers are simply using rebranded components).

I do know that the Konica-Minolta Z3 (a newer camera than the Xt) had a problem formatting SD cards over 512mb in size (but they came out with a firmware upgrade to allow larger cards).

Unless Konica-Minolta can tell you if 1GB cards will work (and I doubt they know), then you'd probably have to try it to tell (and many vendors won't take back a memory card that is not still shrink wrapped).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3

thanks for the info.. appreciate it...

searching through archives I saw a lot of people avoiding the Sandisk for the reasons you mentioned. I'm glad to know that the MultiMedia cards are slower than SD..Getting worried that it woudl be something with the camera.

Sad to say I am one of those people that likes the movie function!

I don't want to have to buy the 1BG SD card to find out it doesn't work! :-?

If anyone has tried it or knows details about the XT's firmware/OS please post.

Thanks

Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:24 PM   #4

I've an x20 + 1gb viking card. Now I know this is faster than the standard

card that came with the camera (as the contiuous shooting mode is alot faster), and

when I switch into movie mode it says 47.27 (mm:ss) of 320x240 (15fps) of recording time, but after around 24 mins the camera stops recording, then when I hit the record button again, contiues to record for the remainder of the card.

Now I don't know if it is the s/w stopping the recording after ~24 mins or the card

speed.

Just something you may want to consider knowing...

jenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:27 AM   #5

That is good news...I am guessing that because it's the halfway point, it is probably the OS trying to come to grips with the extra capacity.

That gives me a lot more confidence in going for a 1 GB. The general consensus is that the Panasonic 1 GB SD card is the fastest. But I have not had any luck finding it for anything near the prices companies like Lexar are charging (~$80 range vs. $180 range for Panasonic)

I am guessing that the cameras are using the same OS. Thanks a million for the info. btw.. how do the movies come out?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:02 PM   #6

The movies came out better than I thought. You will need quicktime installed though

to view them. What I do is convert the mov > avi > wmv. If you have windows xp the wmv can interlace the frames to give a 'higher than 15fps' look - and its very impressive.

The only downside is that the movie mode requires good lighting , so night movies

arn't as impressive.

BTW I got the 1gb as it allowed me to also copy a cd's worth of data - useful as the laptop I'm using doesn't have a cd writer.

Cheers

anymore Q's just ask.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the info jenk...

The unlimited movie feature played a big part in my decision to get this camera.

It is truly compact and portable...

I am currently viewing the movie files with apple quicktime bu nothing else. What software are you using to do the conversion?

Yeah, movie mode at night is really not good at all. It's a shamebut it would have been nice ifwe could use the night mode in taking movies as well as pictures. Haven't fiddled around with t enough yet. Time to read the manual I guess!

looking at getting the kingmax:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...264&depa=1

It says in the description that it can handle up to 60X ~10mb/s

That "should" be good enough. Just worry about how the camera will recognize it.

Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:48 PM   #8

if you have the full version of quicktime, then use that to convert to avi (many editing

programs reconise this format), else do a search for blinkconv.exe, which is a freeware program to convert movie formats.

I use windows movie maker to convert avi > wmf.

Yeah , the x20 is great fun to use...

cheers

Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:57 AM   #9

Thanks for the info Jenk.

I'll see if i can get quicktime working first. If not, blinkconv.exe it is.

Thanks for the info.

btw. i am looking at the KINGMAX 1GB SD card looks like a deal at $73.5

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...rty&DEPA=1

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10

Thought i'd give everyone an update.

I finally got the Kingmax 1GB Platinum SD card and I'm happy to report that the Minolta reads all 46 minutes of video capacity!!

=)

Now it's time to shoot some videos.