Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:23 PM   #1

I just bought the canon G6 and was wondering which Compact flash to buy, the regular scandisk or the Ultra II or a Lexar CF? And will the difference be noticeable?

By the way, should I buy a card reader as oppose to just plugging it in with a USB cable?

Thanks in advance.
emarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:15 PM   #2

I hope you have already purchased the memory card since this message is more than a week old.

Since you have a G6, you should for sure to get high speed CF card. Both Sandisk Ultra II and Lexar 80X work really good. The speed of the card doesmake the difference.

I have2 USB 2.0 card reader to upload pictures from the card to the computer. One for work and one for home. It make my life so much easier. Using 2.0 USB card reader you will also transfer your pictures faster (much faster). Beware, you computer has tohave USB 2.0 to take the full advantage of the speed otherwise itwill be slower.
ringoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:44 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum

Yes, go with Ultra II.

It is a little cheaper.

Also, card reader is the way to go.

You can find Sandisk 8-in-1 reader for about $20. (Why 8-in-1 when you only have CF? So, you can download virtually anybody's pics to your PC for instance at a party).

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:14 PM   #4

Thanks, I decided to go with a 512 Ultra II, got it for 109.99 at best buy! I love this camera!
emarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5

CF I or CF II (ultra) ?
May I ask you, who probably are more knowledgeable in this area, exactly where will I experience the difference. The reason for asking is that I am close to decide in favor of a Canon Powershoot A95, which camera only accepts CF I. I have tried to study "picky item" of many camera's Including some Canons ELPH using the CF ultra, without finding major differences, or do I make a great mistake here?
Camus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:00 PM   #6

Camus wrote:
Quote:
CF I or CF II (ultra) ?
May I ask you, who probably are more knowledgeable in this area, exactly where will I experience the difference. The reason for asking is that I am close to decide in favor of a Canon Powershoot A95, which camera only accepts CF I. I have tried to study "picky item" of many camera's Including some Canons ELPH using the CF ultra, without finding major differences, or do I make a great mistake here?
Sandisk Ultra II is CF I type (yeah it's kind of confusing). It's called II but that has nothing to do with the CF II type (it's called II because it is the more advanced version... I think there is also Sandisk III that is coming out (not sure though)). The CF II cards are the microdrives...basically CFII will be larger/fatter.

I personally don't think there is much of a benefit in having CF II type. CFII used to be somewhat important a few years ago when microdrives, which are CF II format, used to hold huge quantities of memory (2GB+) while flash memory couldn't/didn't. Right now, the CF I flash memory is almost on par and can hold 1GB+.

The "high-speed" high capacity CF I memory, like SanDisk Ultra II 1GB or Lexar Pro 1GB should be enough for anythign the A95 will utilize over its life...

----

If you are considering the ELPH line against the A95, keep in mind that the ELPH is ultra-compact. Comparing across different categories is not necessarily accurate...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:05 PM   #7

Thanks very much for your enlightning answer. You are right the name Ultra II is certainly confusing.
I take it that I might not even need an Ultra card (?) As far as I know the A95 has a buffer that can take as much as 8 pictures before slowing down. Until now I have never taken series of pictures with my T1. I will probably just take pictures one by one.
Will a standard card transfer pictures to my Mac slower than a Ultra card?
I am planning to buy a card reader USB 2.
BTW I was not comparing with the ELPH as such, only reading specs, I have allready decided for the bigger body with a firm grip, etc.
Camus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:29 AM   #8

yeah... the Ultra II is probably overkill for the A95. Generally, fast memory is only required for two situations: continuous mode (where you take a lot of pics very quickly eg. 3 fps) and movie mode. The A95 isn't really good at either of these so a high speed card wouldn't help much.

As far as transferring to the computer, the card read speed WILL impact the time (along with the transfer tech eg. USB 2.0 vs 1.1). However, the difference may not be that significant depending on the size of the card. You will notice the speed difference when going into the 1 gig area, but if you have smaller size the difference isn't something that is goin to kill you.

If you already have a Sony T1 (is that what you mean by the T1?), which is a high-end ultra-compact, why not get a much bigger camera (a DSLR-like camera)? Why not look into the ultra-zooms, which are much larger but have more zoom and manual features? Examples of ultra-zooms are Canon S1 IS, Panasonic DMC-FZ3, Panasonic DMC-FZ20, Konica Minolta Z3, etc. The A95 is a general point&shoot and I don't know if it's best to get that while havinga Sony T1? At least with a larger camera, you can use that for serious photography, while carrying the T1 in your pocket for non-serious use? If you don't have a Sony T1, ignore this paragraph
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote