Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:15 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am very new to the digital camera business. I am about to buy my first digital camera ever. Right now it looks like I will be getting the Canon A95. However, I do have a very important question regarding its storage. I checked Canon's website and it says it supports CF Type I and it showed different sizes up to 256MB. Does that mean it does NOT support CF Type II cards? If not, it is OK, but does that also mean it doesn't support CF Type I cards over 256MB? Because that would be an issue. As I was planning on buying a 512MB or 1GB CF Type I card. While I am on the subject, what card should I buy? I have checked out newegg.com and I see the SanDisk 1GB CF Type I card, is that good, and will it work? This one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...073&depa=0

Also correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot buy Sandisk ultra II cards, right, because those are CF Type II cards, correct? Because I was looking at this also: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...046&depa=0

Not sure the difference other than one must be CF I and other CF II right? Thanks for all your help.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:31 PM   #2

Canon Powershot A95 uses CF type I only.

Sandisk Ultra II is a type I Compact Flash (the name Ultra II was not so brillant, many get confused with that)

I have an A95 and I`m using a 1Gb Sandisk Ultra II andyou can save 395 imageswith the highest resolution.

And about card speed, I think you will only notice this issue when you use a fast card reader (USB 2.0 or Firewire),but when you downloadimages directly from the camera (USB 1) it is very slow . With this camera I think any CF on the market will work fine.

Regards,

German G
GermanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:45 AM   #3

GermanG wrote:
Quote:
Canon Powershot A95 uses CF type I only.

Sandisk Ultra II is a type I Compact Flash (the name Ultra II was not so brillant, many get confused with that)

I have an A95 and I`m using a 1Gb Sandisk Ultra II and you can save 395 images with the highest resolution.

And about card speed, I think you will only notice this issue when you use a fast card reader (USB 2.0 or Firewire), but when you download images directly from the camera (USB 1) it is very slow . With this camera I think any CF on the market will work fine.

Regards,

German G
Thanks for the reply, it was quite helpful. I think I have decided to go with the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB card. The reason being is that, I am along with the camera, also going to have a card reader, which is USB 2.0. By using that to transfer the files, it should go considerably faster with the Ultra II, as oppose to the regular. Once again, Thanks.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote