Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:34 AM   #1

hi,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"got my fz20 and sd card last week. the first 80 pics(all shot in highest resolution and low compression) i wanted to transfer with my girlfriends card reader. she uses cf cards and had never any probs. nevertheless, only the first half ogf my pics (more or less) where transferred correctly. all other pics that were shot after a defined timepoint where corrupted. that means

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"- windows explorer (os = win xp) showed only JPG as filename (without the dot and the number before)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"- times mentioned for last opening were crazy (eg xx.xx.2022 or xx.xx.1993)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"- neither acdsee nor irfanview were able to open the files

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"- amount of data was much less (some 800 kb) compared to the "healthy" pic files, which have 1,4 to 2 mb

directly after i had shot the pics, all of them were correctly displayed on the cameras lcd - so they must have been saved correctly at time of shooting (or does the lcd get its data from the internal flash memory?)

after my failing attempt with the card reader, i tried to transfer via usb cable - but the result was just the same. next day i repeated the whole procedure. this time i couldn´t even transfer the first half of pics, which was correctly moved to my computer the day before.

have to mention, that i had used the sd card the first time without additional formatting in the camera.

after these problems i formatted it and since then, i haven´t observed any more probs while using the usb cable. till now, i had no chance to try another card reader.

any ideas?

thx

p.s. panasonic germany said, that my failure was probably due to the san disk card - because probs like that were (they say) quite well known with san disk cards with 256 mb and more. i think, that´s bullshit.

p.p.s. hope, my limited english skills don´t confuse you too much :P

paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:01 AM   #2
Administrator

paparazzi wrote:
Quote:
after these problems i formatted it and since then, i haven´t observed any more probs while using the usb cable. till now, i had no chance to try another card reader.
Well... I'd make sure to format the card before each use in the camera (not with the PC). I'd also make sure to only write to the card with the camera.

As a general rule, I never perform deletes, etc., using a PC (since these are writes to a card). When you see problems, it's usually when someone is using Cut and Paste (versus Copy and Paste) which is deleting from a PC.

Some Card Readers have drivers that tend to cause corruption intermittently when writing to cards (and deletes are a write).

From my perspective, it's just as fast to format the card in the camera, versus deleting the files, and this insures that you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table).

Quote:
p.s. panasonic germany said, that my failure was probably due to the san disk card - because probs like that were (they say) quite well known with san disk cards with 256 mb and more. i think, that´s bullshit.
Actually, that's quite possible. SandiskSecure Digital Cards in larger sizes are notorious for causing problems insome devices. Lately, the quality seems to be better (less complaints about corruption being seen).

In fact, Konica-Minolta used to approve Sandisk Secure Digital Cards in smaller sizes only (128mb and smaller) in one of my cameras (Konica KD-510z), but included specific warnings about using the Sandisk 256mb SD Card (indicating that it could cause the camera to malfunction with errors). They have since removed all Sandisk Secure Digital Cards in all sizes from the tested cards list for my model. In 256mb size, only Toshiba and Panasonic aretested as approved, and in larger sizes, only Panasonic SD is tested for use in my KD-510z.

I know of one user that got 3 bad SandiskSecure Digital Cards (ended up with corruption in all 3, usingthem in a Minolta G500). He ended up giving away his last replacement card before changing brands.

For some other models, Sandisk Cards are approved (and quality on some of the newer Sandisk SD cards appears to be improving). I haven't noticed any corruption complaints with the Ultra II SD Cards yet, other than yours(although I have seen some out of the box failures reported from Ultra II purchasers).

I'd send the card back to Sandisk for a replacement. Chances are, you just got a bad one (it does happen).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:01 AM   #3

thx a lot, jim. your reply was very, very helpful for me. i had ordered a second card for a friend of mine. he has a fz10 and will do some tests now. i think, we´ll send it back, if probs continue to occur.

paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote