Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:56 AM   #1

Default Are Microdrive more fragil the CF

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Microdive or some large Compact Flash cards. I read where Microdrives are more sensitive and more like to be damaged if jolted than Compact Flash. Has anyone have any experience in this to verify if true?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:17 AM   #2
NHL

In theory a mechanical device is always less reliable than a solid state; however the microdrive is designed for portable applications (such as drop and vibration are taken into considertion) and specs out for them accordingly. Several posters here mainly, D7 owners (some of us even owned more than 1) have use theses device for over a year now with no problem.

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.htm

The device does take a few extra seconds to spin up when the camera is first turned on, but it's pretty fast afterward, if not the fastest write cycle around, and at $249 its has the cheapest cost/Mb as well (especially if one compares it to flash that have the same access speed, ie x24!!!).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:17 AM   #3

Harley:

I faced this question a few weeks ago and decided on microdrive because of cost. Checkout the cost of CFs and for the money microdrive is better buy. I got one for $227 which included a 3 year warranty from Digi4ME. Kingston 512MB CF was $245 and 256MB $109. Of course, one needs to be very cafeful with microdrive but then again that applies to all digital camera equipment.

Considering that I can get 15 minutes of video on my Fuji and over 800 pixs when set to 3M pixel settings, I opted for microdrive.

Enjoy!
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 11:04 AM   #4

The only criticism I heard, was that they could be unreliable at high altitudes, so mountaineers watch out! Apparently, it's to do with the aerodynamic profile design of the heads and the layer of trapped air on which they work - design is optimised for normal barometric pressure and air density, at or around sea level.

Anybody else heard this?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 1:57 PM   #5

Altitude is a real problem. The microdrive use air a lubricant so if they stop working at high altitude, they are dead.

Other than that, yes they are more sensitive to handling - in particular to squeezing across the flat dimension. I solve that problem by using the camera's USB connection instead of a card reader. That way I don't have to handle it often - only if I fill up my Gig microdrive and have to swap in my 360M microdirve. And I pull it out about once/year just to reset the connections.

With carefull handling, there should be no problems with a microdrive even if you do use a card reader.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:28 PM   #6

yes, thats what i heard...but the bottom line...whatever you have keep good care of it and it takes care of you!!!

microdrives are much cheaper if you thats why you ask?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:47 PM   #7
NHL

A side note here: When flying on a commercial flight the cabin is pressurized, and the microdrive works fine just fine. I use this occasion to review the pictures in the camera or edit them on my laptop during the flight.

I also use the microdrive to transfer vast amount of data between computers/laptops (trust me you don't want to go through a corporate network for this amount of data) and the microdrive is way faster than any flash cards during write!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:09 PM   #8

One thing is sure: CF cards go to the washer and dryer, microdrives donít. So, never forget your drive in your shirt pocket Ö :lol:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:28 PM   #9

NHL take a look at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/page12.asp

Microdrive slower than CF for Nikon CP5700
only faster with RAW and TIFF but I don't use those
dirtyharry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:38 PM   #10

standard cabin altitude depending on flight duration and overall altitude on a commercial airliner is between 5500-8800 ft.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote