Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 20, 2004, 6:41 AM   #1

I have an older Lexar Jumpshot reader and it didn't take long to figure out that the JumpShot will not read the new 80X Lexar chip since it is not USB enabled.
Question #1:
With my desktop PC up and running, when I insert one of the older 32X chips into the jumpshot, the system recognizes the chip, and I am able to read it. Does anyone know if this is a function of the Jumpshot, or will any good USB 2.0 chip reader operate in a similar? My reason for asking is that we have a number of company-owned laptops running a Windows 2000 operating system, and when that systems are up and running, if we plug in the Jumpshot, we have to re-boot the systems to get them to recognize the reader and chip.

Lexar's online help desk tells me that any of their USB 2.0 readers will recognize either the 32X USB enabled chips or the new 80X. They tell me the problem with having to re-boot the laptop is some type of configuration problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Question #2:
If a PC is up and running, and a USB reader with a "non-USB enabled" chip is plugged into the USB port, will the system recognize the reader and chip? I just ran a quick test using my home desktop which runs Windows XP Pro. I pugged and un-plugged an older Sandisk reader w/the 80X chip and the system seems to recognize the chip ok.
Can anyone comment as to their experiences?

Question #3:
Can anyone recommend a good, compact reader that will read both USB enabed and non-USB enabled chips? Also, will a PCMCIA slot in any of the newer laptops read the 32X USB enabled and new 80X chips?

Thanks for the assistance,
Steve
36 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Steve:

USB Enabled is something that is unique to Lexar. Basically, some of the USB Reader technology is in the card, not in their USB "Jumpshot Reader" (which was designed specifically for Lexar's USB enabled cards). I bought my first "USB Enabled" Lexar Card in 2000, and it came with aLexar Jumpshot Reader.

Anon-jumpshot reader (Sandisk, Lexar, etc.) should be capable of reading eitherUSB Enabled cards ornon-USB Enabled Cards. I've also got a Sandisk reader that can see either type, as well as an HP Printer with card readers that can see either type (well, my HP printer just broke, but it was able to see either type).

Steve does have some reviews of card readers under the Accessory Reviews menu choice, where he shows how some of the readers work with different card types/brands. For example, he tested a Lexar USB 2.0 multi-card reader with CompactFlash Cards made by Lexar, Sandisk and Transcend. Some of these reviews are dated, so newer readers may have replaced them (and prices are a bit lower now, too):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#readers

If I were you, I'd get one of the USB 2.0 Multi-Card Readers, versus aCompactFlash only reader. These are pretty inexpensive now, and you never know when you'll buy a camera or other device (PDA,Mobile Phone, etc.)using a different memory type.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:42 AM   #3

JimC,
Am I correct to assume that when the PC/Laptop is up and running, when a chip is inserted into the reader, the PC would acknowledge that the chip has been inserted? Also, do you know if these newer readers require specific software drivers?

Thanks for the input,
Steve
36 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:34 AM   #4
Administrator

36 Chevy wrote:
Quote:
JimC,
Am I correct to assume that when the PC/Laptop is up and running, when a chip is inserted into the reader, the PC would acknowledge that the chip has been inserted?
Not necessarily. Some will, some won't. This will vary by reader and operating system.Most readers will show up as removable drives whether or not a card is installed. As for whether or not Windows does anything different when a card is inserted will depend on the operating system and how it's setup.

Typically, a reader will show up as a removable drive under "My Computer", and you can see the card capacity for cards inserted by right clicking on the drive letter and looking at properties. If you're running newer versions of Windows (for example XP), then you'll have an "Autoplay" tab under Properties that lets you tell Windows what action to take when you insert media in the drive (start Windows Camera Wizard, copy files to a folder, etc.).

Quote:
Also, do you know if these newer readers require specific software drivers?
Again, this will depend on the operating system. Most readers won't require you to install any drivers for XP (XP already has drivers built in that can recognize most readers). But, for older operating systems, you may need to install drivers. Check each reader for operating systems supported (they'll ship with drivers for operating systems that require them if the operating systems are supported).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote