Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1

I have a problem. I took a few pictures on my Canon G2 with a ScanDisk Compact Flash card. I have been doing this for 3 years without a problem. This card is about a year old. You can view the phots on the screen in the camera, but when trying to download on a Windows computer a message saying the folder can not be read is shown. When trying to plug the camera directly into a Mac computer the photos do not get downloaded either. The computer just says "working" and it never works. Is there a way to retrieve this data???
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Administrator

If your camera can show up as a removable drive via a USB connection to your Windows PC, then youshould be able torecover the images. If it doesn't show up as a removable drive, then you'll need to buy a card reader (very inexpensive). I can't help you with Macsoftware (although I'm sure someone makes image recovery software for Mac).

That's the key (getting the card to show up as a removable drive). Then, you can use any number of image recovery programs to recover the images.

Here is a free one:

You'll see the dowload link in the first message in this German Forum to a free program called Digital Image Recovery:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2690

It's a .zip file, so you'll need Winzip to extract the installation file. If you don't have it already, you can download a working eval version of Winzip from here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

The program will let you select English as a language. As long as your camera appears as a removal drive; simply select the drive letter for your camera as the source drive, then select a folder on your PC as the destination (you'll see a browse button to select a folder).

Leave all other settings as default and click the Start Button. It will then search the memory card and save all of the recovered files to the folder you selected on your PC's hard drive. If you leave the prefix for the files as the default, your images will be saved as image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc.

Note: in some rare cases, your PCmay give you a message that the card needs formatting before it can read it. If that is the case (probably not), then you'll need to format the card first with your PC. But, make SURE to select FAT as the File System Type when formatting. Then, use Digital Image Recovery to find the images after the format (the format will only overwrite the FAT, not the actual images, so the recovery software can still find them).

After you recover your images (checking them first to make sure you can see them all), then I'd format the card with the camera (it will have a menu choice for format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3

Thank you Thank you Thank you. It worked.... and fast. I was so upset at losing those shots. Thanks again.
sgalfano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Administrator

No problem. Again, make sure to format the card with the camera before using it (after making sure you canview all of the recovered images). Your FAT (File Allocation Table) is corrupted.

I do this every time I use my camera (format the memory card in the camera via it's menus, since formatting is just as fast as deleting the photos anyway, and it insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote