Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 22, 2002, 6:24 PM   #1

Default Compactflash card speeds?

I will be getting a Nikon coolpix 2500 for Christmas and I wrote to Nikon asking about the speed of the cards this camera will work with. They wrote back and said Sandisk SDCFB series 16mb to 128mb, but no mention of "speed".
They also mentioned Lexar 4X-USB series 8mb to 80mb.
8X-USB series 8mb to80 and 10X-Usb series 128mb , 160mb.
That is fine if I knew what they were talking about, what is SDCFB?
and USB series?, The card is in the camera not the computer, so why do they mention USB?
I checked on the Sandisk web site and cannot find anything on the speed of their cards, the same with Lexar, and when I look at the cards in the store nothing is written on them as to the speed.
I also checked another web site mentioned on this forum, but again nothing mentioned about the speed of CF cards.
Perhaps it means nothing for a point and shoot camera like the CP2500?
Thanks, sorry for sounding stupid. ops: == Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:27 PM   #2

to start the baseline is 150kb per second. so a 1x is 150kbs 2x300kbs 4x600kbs and so on.
if you go to lexars site and look under tab- digital film and media look at compactflash and click on more info it will tell you more about their speeds.

sandisk has their ultra line of cards which claim high speed xfrs somewhere about 17x or 2.6MB sec.

you have to look at read and write speeds. write speeds being the most important one. your camera has a lot to do with the xfr rate also. a card capable of 24x won't do diddly if the camera can't deliver that rate. so i would venture to say that the 2500 is not going to deliver the max transfer rate capable for the high end cards.

as to the USB reference lexar makes the card USB enabled. they supply a special cable with the card which contains roughly half of the usb tranfer circuit. then the other half is in the cable. this was a marketing thing that really didn't fly.not to worry though they work fine on any other reader too.

i think you said it best at the end of your question for that particular camera.

look for a name brand card that will work with all your cameras. look for a long length warranty to 5 years or better. you know, just in case. lexar, delkin and others are pretty much compatable with every thing. i myself am not a fan of sandisk.

i hope i helped
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 4:10 AM   #3

Thanks sjms, I think I understand it now, so if I understand it correctly I should not worry about speed for this camera and just pick out a Lexar or Sandisk off the rack at Wal-mart or Office Max and go for it.
As I had mentioned, when I look at the cards in the store, it does not mention "speed" on the cards, only the size is listed. like: 32mb, 64mb, etc.
Though the salesman at Staples tells me their cards are 1X, I still don't see that listed on the package, have to take their word for it.
If I buy that card and it is indeed only a 1x, I will not be able to take it back after it is opened.

Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:09 AM   #4

no company makes a 1x card today. that goes to show what the sales staff actually knows.

if you want to be safe the minimum "speed" on lexar cards is 4x or 600KBs and it should be right on the card. come to think of it pretty much all of then in that class are the same today.

purchase the one with the best (longest)warranty. should it decide to go belly up on you during that time you get a replacement on them(the manufacturer).
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote