Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:48 PM   #1

I just ordered a Canon Digital Rebel. I have wanted a digital camera for a long time to shoot family pictures and decided that a Digital SLR would eliminate the need for two cameras. Will a Sandisk 512 Ultra II card be enough speed/memory for my new camera and its intended use?
newtodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:32 PM   #2

I would suggest a 1 gig Ultra II if you are shooting jpg. If you want to shoot RAW, you may want to look at 2 gig or higher CF or microdrives. I made the mistake of getting just a 512 when I ordered my Rebel 6 months ago and after a month found myself needing a second card. You'll get roughly 140-170 jpg pictures on a 512 card (exact amount varies). And, quite honestly memory is pretty cheap now so if you've already ordered the 512, I'd order a 2nd 1 gig. I think having 2 cards is a good idea - that way if 1 gets damaged or falters some how, you're not 'in the lurch' and forced to buy some over-priced low-speed card in the middle of a vacation. If you need zipzomfly.com and newegg.com both sell 1 gig ultra iis for about $86-89.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply about memory. An off-topic question but I thought I'd ask. What do you think of your Rebel. I decided to go with the Canon because of the price - I have a connection at Canon and I got a fantastic deal. Is the camera as fast as you anticipated? Will the Ultra II card enable me to get as much speed as the camera is capable of? How many pictures can I capture in RAW with a 1 GB card?

newtodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:30 PM   #4
Administrator

newtodig wrote:
Quote:
Will the Ultra II card enable me to get as much speed as the camera is capable of? How many pictures can I capture in RAW with a 1 GB card?
I don't own a Digital Rebel, but since he hasn't responded yet, the Digital Rebel canabout 138 photos on a 1GB Card in RAW mode on average, shooting at ISO 100.

But, you may get less. This is because it also stores a JPEG file with each RAW file (embedded inside of the .crw file), and the amount of detail in the image controls how large a JPEG will be. For example, the camera automatically lowers it's estimate on the number of images remaining on the card if you use ISO speeds higher than 100 shooting in RAW (because more noise typically results in larger JPEG Files).

As far a speed, the ULTRA II will be fine. It's I/O to the memory cards is not as fast as a model like the EOS-20D, so it's going to be bottlenecked trying to go with faster cards than this. A 1GB Lexar 80XSecond Edition or Sandisk Extreme III may provide a marginal increase on tests, but I don't think you'dnotice it in real world use (the difference is really very small):
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Is the camera as fast as you anticipated?
Well, compared to a digicam, the speed is lightning fast. If you were a film SLR person, it may or may not be as fast depending on the body you used. I am very happy with it so far. I knew going in that there was only a 4 shot burst and 2.5 fps and have been happy with that. At the time I bought, the Nikon D70 was the only other option and it was about $300 more at the time. It has it's quirks but it is leagues above using a normal digicam. I'm sure you'll love it.

Quote:
Will the Ultra II card enable me to get as much speed as the camera is capable of?
Yes, I believe the Ultra II will maximize your speed. The DRebel is not as fast writing as some of the other DSLRs but then it's still the least expensive of the lot. I use the Ultra II and have never seen a problem until I hit the 4 picture maximum if I'm shooting sports. Other than that the card has been fast enough for everything I've done. It's a good time to buy memory as it is 1/2 the cost it was 6 months ago! As for RAW mode, I'm afraid I'm still an ameteur - I shoot mostly in JPG - I still have plenty to learn working with that formatalthough in another year or so I'll probably switch to RAW. Enjoy your new toy!
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:49 PM   #6

Will you 'feel' a difference with the different lexar media's on your digital rebel. eh. the ultra II vs. the pro 40x vs. the pro 80x?

Although I only own a G5 I recently ordered the lexar 40x one since the price difference was only $1 between the 40x and the ultra II, (1 gig version)

Or would this not really make a difference in my G5 but more in DSLR's?

thank-you in advance for your replies and input

Raymond
goiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:05 PM   #7

Well, there is a great site, www.robgalbraith.com, that give statistics for how various DSLR cameras perform with the different CF cards. According to the site, here are the numbers for the 300D

Card Jpeg RAW

Lexar 80x 1.338 MB/sec 1.235 MB/sec

Sandisk Extreme III 1.330 1.320

Sandisk Ultra II 1.305 1.273

Lexar 40x 1.2271.205

There does not seem to be a huge difference here, I think after the Ultra II you start to hit a pretty steep 'diminishing return'. I'm not sure the G5 would even get the full benefit of the Ultra II