Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:42 AM   #1

My son has a Canon A60 which he has enjoyed for a year and a half. He recently took some photos, went to download them onto his laptop, and poof... they were gone. The message on the lcd screen reads "memory card error". The memory card (lexmark) seems to be empty! He has used the same memory card since it was purchased for him.
Questions:
The camera seems to work with a different memory card, so can we assume it is the card itself? Or is there something in the camera that may have ruined the card with multiple uses? Does he need a new camera, or just a new card?

Is there any way to retrieve the 10 or so pictures that he took that day?

Thanks so much!
RRguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator

It's likely just a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) on the memory card.

If your camera can show up as a removable drive via a USB connection to your Windows PC (under "My Computer"), then youshould be able torecover the images. If it doesn't show up as a removable drive, then you'll need to buy a card reader (very inexpensive).

That's the key (getting the card to show up as a removable drive). Then, you can use any number of image recovery programs to recover the images.

Here is a free one:

You'll see the dowload link in the first message in this German Forum to a free program called Digital Image Recovery:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2690

It's a .zip file, so you'll need Winzip to extract the installation file. If you don't have it already, you can download a working eval version of Winzip from here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

The program will let you select English as a language. As long as your camera appears as a removal drive; simply select the drive letter for your camera as the source drive, then select a folder on your PC as the destination (you'll see a browse button to select a folder).

Leave all other settings as default and click the Start Button. It will then search the memory card and save all of the recovered files to the folder you selected on your PC's hard drive. If you leave the prefix for the files as the default, your images will be saved as image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc.

Note: in somecases, your PCmay give you a message that the card needs formatting before it can read it, even with a card reader.

If that is the case, then you'll need to format the card first with your PC. But, make SURE to select FAT as the File System Type when formatting (otherwise, Windows will use FAT32 as a default, which will not work with the camera, and could destroy the images on the card). Then, use Digital Image Recovery to find the images after the format (the format will only overwrite the FAT, not the actual images, so the recovery software can still find them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:54 PM   #3

Jim, Thanks so much for your complete answer!!As soon as my son gets done with his finals and gets home for break, we will try what you suggested!! I appreciate your help! RRguru
RRguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 5:14 PM   #4

Jim,

I love the power of the internet. I'm sitting here with a problem similar to the one described in this thread. I had gone outside, risking limb and life to walk in the cold cold snowy land that has been left from the big storm. Trudging through unshoveled snow etc. Well, got home and in my cold state I somehow made a mistake, pulling the sansdisk card out of the camera and sticking it in the card slot on my printer. Boom- nothing there. I don't know if I pulled it out of the camera before it was turned off or what but no pictures at all. Panic. I knew enough to check the properties. Humm, it showed that there was a block of space being used, no pictures showing in the file. A puzzle. I tried to use windows to 'check' and 'scan' the disk. Nothing. Well, there is always Steve's Digicam site I thought. Perhaps a similar problem from someone in the forum. That's what I'll do. Well, I found this thread. Read the link to the little program at the german site. I downloaded the program, installed it and with great hope and trepidation pointed it toward my malfunctioning card. It started it's thing and 'shazam!' - the pictures started showing up. A miracle. I'll be darned. Amazing. Thanks most kindly! Again I am thankful for the internet and places like this. :-)
gadlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 5:32 PM   #5
Administrator

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad it worked out for you.

BTW, after you've had a problem with a card, it's a good idea to format it with your camerabefore using it again. Your camera will have a menu choice somewhere to do this.

Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

Jim,

Thanks kindly. I sort of thought that would be the case. The card still shows a invisible 150 megs block that isn't visible or accessable. Never actually had to do that and I've been digital since my Nikon 950. I hope that I can keep this failure rate at once every five years.
gadlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:51 PM   #7
Administrator

gadlaw wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Thanks kindly. I sort of thought that would be the case. The card still shows a invisible 150 megs block that isn't visible or accessable. Never actually had to do that and I've been digital since my Nikon 950. I hope that I can keep this failure rate at once every five years.
Actually, I format my memory cards before every use via the camera menus, and I always have. Formatting is usually just as fast as deleting the photos anyway, and this insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table). I even do this with my old Nikon Coolpix 950 (which I still use from time to time). ;-)
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:21 PM   #8

THAT is why you don't buy cheap cards! It's a dirty little secret that they do fail.

It's also a good reason to not buy 1G cards.

Buy 512 cards so when it does fail you don't lose all!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:31 PM   #9

I agree, it is better not to keep all your eggs in one basket.

I also format my cards prior to each use, and have not had any failures yet. I do not know if I would trust a card again that had failed once.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:14 PM   #10

Since you were so helpful with this post, I am hoping you can help me as well. My husband and I visited Savannah during the last few days and took a bunch of wonderful pictures of some special memories. When I got home, as I turn on the camera, it says "Card Setup" with the options of power off or format.

I downloaded the program you suggested, my camera does show up as a seperate drive, however, it didn't find any pictures.

I am hoping you have some other "magic" that I might attempt.....it is really upsetting to lose all these wonderful pictures!

p.s. I have learned my lesson though and will be purchasing smaller cards of a higher quality in the future.

p.s.s. Don't know if it helps but I have an Olympus D-390.

Thanks for any help.

xawsted is offline   Reply With Quote