Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:03 PM   #1

Thanks to some advice on-line I have decided to buy a 1 GB card. I have been doing some pricing online and in stores and the price varies quite a bit. Where can I get the best price in Canada for a memory card this size and does it matter which brand I go with?
newtodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:50 PM   #2

The brand/speed of your card will depend on your camera but in most cases it doesn't matter. As for the price, I suggest looking at a few online sites to compare the prices. Here are a few to start with:

http://www.cendirect.com/default.asp

http://www.tigerdirect.ca

http://www.futureshop.ca

http://www.staples.ca

Those are a few ideas for you, you can also check the local dealers which will vary depending on your province. In General I find that Cendirect and Tigerdirect offer better prices, but the advantage is not always so significant after transport cost are considered.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:51 PM   #3

As for the type of card, much of it depends on the camer you will use it on. Many cameras, for instance, can't take advantage of the 80x write speed of the Lexar's or the Sandisk's latest card. So you'd be throwing money away if you bought them for certain cameras. Some of the DSLRs, however can really benefit from these faster cards. What camera will you be using the card for?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4
Mag

My suggestion would be Newegg.com i have ordered computer stuff several times from this company and they are super fast and great support. If I can find an item thats cheaper elseware unless the savings is significant i will go through newegg anyway because of there outstanding service.

I dont know what type of memory your looking for but here are some examples of the better rated cards to help you compare prices ect.

For secure digital,

i wouldnt buy anything butkingmax Platinum its the fastest ive seen and cheaper than most others if not all. 10mb/sec transfer rate 1 GB $70.50 make sure you get the platinum edition if you want that speed.

Pretec has anounced a mmc card thats suppose to be about twice that fast but ive never tried a mmc card in a sd slot some products are rated for both in the same slotthough. I have not seen this product out for sale yet i will be interested in it if its not too expensive.

For compact flash,

Sandisc Ultra II 1GB $81.00 9MB/sec

Lexar 80x professional 1GB $100.49 12MB/sec

US funds, I dont know about Canada shipping ect there maybe better options for you. There maybe faster memory out there now,but i think this isabout as fast as youl find, this will give you something to compare.If speed isnt an issue you can savemore money with other cards or versions.

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:38 PM   #5

The camera that I have ordered is a Canon EOS digital rebel. I went on the newegg website but they don't ship to Canada. Will I really notice a difference between the faster cards and the regular compact flash on my camera?
newtodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:31 PM   #6

If am not mistaken, the dRebel's maximum read/write speed is of approximatively 9x, so if you do not plan on using a card reader to download the pictures to your computer or if you do not mind waiting a few more mins when doing so, then I don't suggest getting a card much faster than 9x(perhaps getting the next highest speed is ok, but beyond that ?).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:25 AM   #7

OK, if you are using a D-Rebel, I suggest looking at www.robgalbraith.com

Then click on the "CF Database" link on the left hand side. The site gives some statistics for how each CF card behaves in a given D-SLR. It looks like the Sandisk Ultra II outperformes the Lexar 40x for the D-Rebel, but the cards after that start hitting some diminishing returns.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:59 AM   #8

Canada Computers is a good place to buy flash memory. They have the best prices I've seen anywhere in canada. They only ship COD, however.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/flash.html

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:37 PM   #9

Man if you have a digital rebel , it can for sure handle the San Disk Ultra II or the Extreme it might not take full advantage of the Extreme III 133x speed though I would call Canon tech support and find out what the read / write speed is though.

-mo

moh2o is offline   Reply With Quote