Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:18 PM   #1

I have recently purchased a DMC-FZ20 and also bought a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB SD card.

Whilst the included 16 MB SD card works fine, the Sandisk Ultra has intermittent problems.

In short, it appears that the first 3 images are black, which in turn makes the card unreadable via a PC card reader or via the USB cable (says 'corrupted or unreadable').

Sometimes you can view the images on camera (but again first 3 black) & sometimes you can't. I have already sent the card back once for replacement and now it is happening with the new card. Both were formatted in-camera first.

Is there any reason why the sandisk Ultra card should be incompatible with the FZ20?

Any help much appreciated.
Jed_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, you do see bad cards from time to time, and Sandisk's reputation for compability withSecure Digital mediais not exactly spotless. Their newer cards seem to have very few problems, though.

I found users reportingthe Ultra II cards work fine in the FZ20. Of course, you see users that do have problems from time to time, too.

But, it seems unlikely that you'd get two cards with the same symptoms. So, I'd suspect something else to be wrong.

You mentioned a card reader.. How are you transferring your images? Do you delete them from the PC?

Sometimes, this can cause card corruption.Depending on the reader and how the driver is setup, Windows will cache writes to the media with some drivers causing corruption on occassion. So, it's not uncommon to see users that cut and paste (which is writing to the media from the cut which is a delete), or users that delete images from their PChave more problems with card corruption.

Personally, I always format a card with the camera prior to every use, and never use a PC to perform any kind of write operation to it (deletes, etc.). Formattinga card with the camera prior to every use insures I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) on the card.

I'd give that a try (format again, since it sounds like you only did it when you first got the new one) and see if the problem reoccurs if you continue this procedure.

If it still does reoccur, then I'd try the card in a different camera to make sure your camera isn't at fault.If the problem occurs in a different camera (perhaps you can bring your card to a store with demo models and test it), then I'd send the card back.

If the problem doesn't occur in another FZ20, and does occur in yours (on a consistent basis), then I'd send the camera back.

Chances are, something you're doing is corrupting the card, but you could have gotten two defective cards (it's been known to happen), or you may havea problem with the camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:10 AM   #3

Hi Jim, yes, I have been formatting the card in-camera each time and I also always only copy & paste using the card reader - never cut & paste or delete.

I have also tried just using the USB connections from camera to PC to no avail; same issues with either 'empty' images or 'corrupted' folders. Reading on the card forum some have mentioned that Sandisk don't have the best reputation for compatibility. I have emailed Panasonic to ask them but am still awaiting their reply.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:54 PM   #4

Did you try using the Sandisk SD 1 G without an in-camformat first?

I have used three diff sandisk media in four diff dig cams - all with no prob, all with no format needed...ever.

Smartmedia, CF and xD.

FYI...

Hope this helps :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:01 AM   #5

Hi Guys

thanks for all the input - always helpful to have a suggestion of where to start!

I have contacted Panasonic UK & they say there could well be compatability issues with the Ultra card as they have experienced this in the past.

Also, on the Sandisk site they have a compatability listing and though they don't list the FZ20, they do list the FZ2. Against this they do not list any of the Ultra series as being compatible so my feeling is that incompatability is the problem.

I am now trying to contact the card supplier (PicStop) to see if they will be helpful and exchange the card. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help

Jed
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:24 AM   #6
Administrator

Jed_P wrote:
Quote:
I have contacted Panasonic UK & they say there could well be compatability issues with the Ultra card as they have experienced this in the past.

Also, on the Sandisk site they have a compatability listing and though they don't list the FZ20, they do list the FZ2. Against this they do not list any of the Ultra series as being compatible so my feeling is that incompatability is the problem.
I'd make sure to rule out the camera by trying the card in a different one, too.

Although Sandisk Standard Speed SD cards have abad reputation for compatibility/reliability in some devices, I have not seen this to be the case with the newer Ultra II Cards. Also, newer Sandisk Standard SD cards appear to have some changes to help the compability issues, too.

I have seen users report problems from time to time with the Ultra II, but this is more likely to be defective cards versus compatibility.

If your vendor will swap it out for you, the Panasonic Standard SD Cards in larger sizes are fast. Simpletech cards in larger sizes use the same components as Panasonic, so these are also fast.

Most other manufacturers are using rebranded components from the "big 3" SD Manufacturers (Panasonic, Toshiba, Sandisk). So, if you buy a different brand, you may get a card using Sandisk components (they are a big OEM supplier). Chances are, most 60x SD cards on the market use the same components as the Sandisk Ultra II.

Personally, I think it's more likely that either your camera is defective, or you simply got two defective Ultra II cards. To ruleout the camera, try the Sandisk SD in a different Panasonic camera (many stores have demos), formatting in the democamera to make sure you're starting out with a fresh FAT.If it works in the other camera without problems, and still doesn't work correctly in yours, then your camera is likely to be the culprit.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote