Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:42 PM   #1

Hi there,

To kick off my stay in this forum, I have a wee question about where online, to buy a 2GB SD card?

I have found a single seller in the UK which where able to get hold of one, but for a price of more than £180.-!

So, is it possible to find something cheaper online in the US?

Kind regards,

Kim
Scotsdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:18 PM   #2

Hello Kim, sorry this won't be much help to you immediately, but have a look here, http://www.picstop.co.uk/securedigital.htmThey are out of stock at the moment, but if you can't find anythingcheaper than £164.90 then keep an eye on their site or give them a ring.

They also do SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb SD cards for £ 82.10 each and personally I would rather buy two of those for £164.20 and reduce the risk of losing images if the card goes belly up. They are in stock at the moment. Give it a look.

By the wayI have no affiliation with Picstop, justsearched sandisksd cards in Kelkoo and found it.

As forbuying from a U.S. site............I'm sure, in fact i'm positive, that our American cousins enjoy far better prices than we do in the digital anything stakes, but unless you can find a fantastic price including state tax,import duty, vat and postage, topped off with a very high recommendation from anybody that has used any given site then i would suggest you buy from British based Etailers. (Don't get me wrong Y'all across the pond, I have no problem with you), it's just that if the criteria werenot met (BIG savings!) then i would also be concerned with warranty/returns issues.

Regards

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3

Why would you want such a thing. For one thing tehre is a dirty litle secret tha no one talks about. Memory cards DO fail. Do you want 2 gig of pics gone in a flash?

Buy 4 512s and think of it as back up in case your camera gets stolen.

I won't even buy a 1 gig card. I would rather have two 512s.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:40 PM   #4

It looks like they are on sale for $180 US. That is only 93 pounds.

http://shopper.cnet.com/SanDisk_Ultr...144282.html?q=
mosl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:13 AM   #5

mosl31, I quote myself on the issue of pricesin the U.K.& the U.S.

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
As forbuying from a U.S. site............I'm sure, in fact i'm positive, that our American cousins enjoy far better prices than we do in the digital anything stakes, but unless you can find a fantastic price including state tax,import duty, vat and postage, topped off with a very high recommendation from anybody that has used any given site then i would suggest you buy from British based Etailers. (Don't get me wrong Y'all across the pond, I have no problem with you), it's just that if the criteria werenot met (BIG savings!) then i would also be concerned with warranty/returns issues.

Initially, it seems a very good deal, but by the time State tax, shipping and for the U.K. import duty & VAT are added it might not be such a bargain. Unfortunately the site you mention only requests a Zip Code, which leads me to suspect they may not deliver to the U.K. anyway. For this and many other reasons, I find myself wishing I were on the other side of the Atlantic !!

Happy New Year,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:35 PM   #6

good point you make here grinder. i've been hunting for a reasonably priced 1gb sd card for my new fz20 and was content to wait for the kingmax card to appear on new egg again. but what you say makes a lot of sense. i think i'm now shifting my hunt to 2 512mb cards.

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
Why would you want such a thing. For one thing tehre is a dirty litle secret tha no one talks about. Memory cards DO fail. Do you want 2 gig of pics gone in a flash?

1SFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:14 PM   #7

I Totally agree too and check out my post on how the newest high speed cards can be ruined by your camera if it does not match the speed. (Jan. 6th) San Disk Extreme III

Grinder wrote:
Quote:

moh2o is offline   Reply With Quote