Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:43 PM   #1

Hi, I just received a Canon A75 for my birthday. I took about 20 pictures with the 32 MB CF card provided. I had read that card readers were easier to use than downloading to computer from camera. I know there were pictures on the card, because I printed them at a Kodak machine. I installed a Digital USB 1.1 CF Card Reader to my Win 98 SE computer, using the CD supplied. It recognized the card as an additional drive, but the files all looked corrupted. I clicked on a couple of them, but the computer didn't know what to do with them. I tried to bring them up in the image software provided with Win 98, but it didn't recognize the format. When I put the card back into the camera, I got a "memory card error" from the camera; it refused to recognize it and wouldn't bring up the images any more. I reformatted the CF card 3x in the camera. Then the error went away, but it would no longer save the images to the card. What happened here? I didn't install Canon's software on my computer yet. I just wanted to see the pictures from the card, but that did not work. Can someone more experienced and knowledgeable please explain this to me. Did I break something? Please tell me fast, because I don't know what to do and don't want to make things worse. I called Canon, but the only solution they gave me was to reformat the card. I did that, but nothing is changed. Thank you in advance for your help!
JCBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Well... Your experience calls for some questions (i.e., what do you mean by they looked corrupted -- are you talking about the filenames looking corrupted?).

But, if the card won't work in the camera, after being formatted by the camera, then it's probably defective. What do you mean when you say the camera will no longer save images to the card? Do you get an error when you take a photo?

Have you got known good batteries in the camera (i.e., high capacity NiMH batteries)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:34 PM   #3

Hi Jim, thanks for the quick reply. The file names appeared corrupted; they had weird symbols in them. There seemed to be more files than the pictures I took, nearly double. I have excellent NiMH batteries in the camera (2500 milliamps).

When I took a photo after formatting the card in the camera, I saw an image in the LCD monitor, but then when I switched the button down to view the image stored on the card, I got a black screen that said "no image."

Does that give you any more clues?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:44 PM   #4
Administrator

The most likely problem is that your CompactFlash Card is defective, if the same symptoms occur after reformatting it in the camera using the camera's format menu choice. You may also want to make sure you didn't bend any of the pins in the CompactFlash Card slot in the camera (unlikely, but it's been known to happen).

Did the camera give you any errors when formatting the card via the camera menus? Did you try to use it in the card reader again before taking photos, or did the problem start immediately when you tried to take photos after formatting?

I guess it's possible that the reader itself is corrupting the File Allocation Table (although it shouldn't be). But, a reformat in the camera, using the camera's format menu choice should fix a corrupted FAT and let you take photos again, with the camera saving them to the card. If not, then I'd suspect the card as being defective.

Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks again for your input. I did look at the pins in the camera. While I did not see any bent ones, I did see an "extra" loose pin in there. They are kind of too small in too narrow a place to count, but as best as I could tell, I didn't think any were missing. I turned the camera over and got out the loose metal [I noticed it did touch the other pins before I got it out].

Once I reformatted the CF card, I didn't dare stick it back in the reader, since I didn't know if that caused the problem or not. I did notice a problem trying to format the card. Even though it is supposed to be 32 MB, with each format, it showed me a different amount available (e.g. 12 MB, 28 MB, etc). The problem with saving the picture on the newly formatted card occurred when I took the picture without having removed the newly formatted card from the camera. I think I recall that after two different formatting attempts followed by two picture attempts, I did stick the card back in the reader as a last resort. I do not believe I saw anything on the drive at that time.

If this card was defective, that is sad, because it was the Canon card that came with the camera!

Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:13 PM   #6

P.S. Just so that I understand, in a perfect world, where new cameras come with nondefective cards, am I correct in my assumption that I could have seen and opened JPEG files in my computer from the CF Card Reader? Do you have to install the Canon Software to do that? Part of the problem is I wasn't sure what I was looking at. In trying to figure out this issue by exploring on the net, I found stuff about "RAW" files. Does my camera take JPEG files which are understood by computers, or does it take RAW files that have to be encoded by Canon's software before I can use them?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:14 PM   #7
Administrator

Loose Metal in the card slot that looked like an "extra pin" -- possibly shorting out the other pins!??? That doesn't sound good at all.

This sounds more like a pin broke off inside of the card slot. I'd use a flashlight and check it closely.

Your model only shoots JPEG images. So, almost any image editor should be able to read them. However, you would need to have some kind of image editor installed. When you click on a filename, Windows associates the file type with an application. Chances are, something installed is setup to be the default application for JPEG files (but if you've never installed any image editors, I guess that it's possible that this file type is not associated with an application).

You can even view them with your browser (File, Open, select one of the JPEG files on the memory card).

Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:21 PM   #8

Thanks so much for your time and all your help in this. This is a great web site. I consulted it much before I made my purchase decision. I also think it is great to have people willing to help the digital newbies.

I think I'd better pack this thing up and send it back to Canon; I've only had it a couple of weeks. It was nice while it lasted! I hope the next one goes better.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:55 AM   #9

Hi JC believer,

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like it could definitely be the dig camera.

Something you may want to try is to have a friend try your card in their reader (not their digcam). If they can read it, it may still be your reader.

Also, your Win98 PC is, unfortunately, 6 years old?

I imagine if you bought a Win XP PC with built in USB2, these issues may disappear.

FYI...I had a WinMEPC on which the hard drive crashed so I had a new installed and updated to WinXP. Big difference So, you may be able to install a new hard drive with XP and then swap over your files on your old hard drive to the new XP drive.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote