Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:25 AM   #11

Update,

Neither Hitachi nor Seagate are offering any help. I sent Hitachi an email asking if the "47C" Hitachi 4Gb. Microdrives were firmware locked like the "44C" microdrives. A tech named "Jeff" sent a reply going over all the different types of flash media. Basicly a beginners101 to storage divices... I sent back a "more to the point" question about firmware overrights / updates. I got a "go home, kid, your moma's call'n ya" type of reply. Something along the lines of we can't / won't offer any information about White label microdrives.

So I need to know if any one has had any luck decoding / hacking the firmware. I also need to know if a 47C will work in the digital cameras.

As for the restocking fee... No dice. I can't get them to budge. I have contacted Ebay, and Paypal. Mainly because the auction is a scam. The seller is flat out lieing to folks. They are offering the microdrives to buyers as a Digital Camera Memory -Microdrive. This is the only action I can see at the moment. If any body would like to file a claim with Ebay or Paypal, send me an email. I can give you copies of emails sent to me from Seagate, pertaining to the fact that they do not make digital camera microdrives. This should be enough to get the ball roling on a fraud claim with Ebay and / or Paypal. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Wolfy
Wolf_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:25 AM   #12

What I said above:angry:
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:19 AM   #13

I bought 2 of these microdrives off e-bay, one worked and continues to work one didn't work so I got a replacement.

Now the replacement doesn't work in my camera but it works in a reader..

I checked the firmware on both the working and the not working and both are 3.04, I am using a Canon 20D.

spanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:07 AM   #14

Hi Wolf_Spyder,

I was about to buy from this seller until I read your post. When I went to ebay, I did not see any feedback from you for this seller. How come you did not leave negative feedback?

Regards,

turtletom

Quote:
Hello,

I am Wolf_Spyder from Ebay and other places like AR15.com & FAL Files. I bought the Seagate 5 Gb. Microdrive off of Ebay just like many of you have. The seller is USBETC*COM. I have emailed a few people who also bought these drives from the same seller as I. None of them have worked in a Digital Camera save one. One guy got lucky. I am fighting it out with the seller because of a restocking fee.

Any way, my Seagate ST1 has the FW: 3.04, and it will not work in my Canon 10-D. Seagate has been of very little help. They told me they are not even working on newer firmware for digital cameras. I am innerested in finding a way to flash the firmware. My old PIII 500, Win 98 SE, will access the ST1 if I use the card reader that the seller offered as a free gift is used. So the drive works. I just can not get the 10-D to read the card. I also get the "Error 02" message and the camera locks up, untill I remove the ST1.

I might be able to trade for a white label Hitachi 4 Gb. Microdrive. The last three digits of the Hitachi are "47C". Does that mean anything to any one? I am also waiting on an email from Hitachi about the "47C". So if I find out anything I will post it.

-- Wolfy

turtletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:55 AM   #15

My "Buyer Protection" fraud claim is still pending with Paypal. I don't want to give the seller any reason to flame my perfect 100% feedback score.

I have never had to file a fraud claim with Paypal before, so I don't know how it works in the end. I have been a good buyer, and I always send emails to the seller to resolve any issues before they become a problem. I have sold several thing on Ebay with out any problems. So in the end, I am doing my best to safe guard my feedback rating, and to look out for my fellow ebayers in that order.

__________________________________________________ ___

claim filed withEbay and Paypal

I have emailed the seller several times and they have replied each time. Item # 3872189767 was a "buy it now" for a Seagate Microdrive. Seller has this item listed as Digital Camera Memory. The seller states "Item Specifics - Digital Camera Memory", "Seagate ST1 CF (Microdrive) 5GB for all Digital Cameras and PDA's", & "...for digital photography". The seller also asks the buyer to check for compatibility with the intended camera / PDA manufacturer. So I contacted Canon and ask them about compatibility issues with large capacity Microdrives. They replied that my Pro Digital SLR Camera would access a microdrive with a capacity of up to 2048 Gb. in size. Canon also went on to say that my camera will accept CF cards and Microdrives as long as they conformed to the CF type I / II industry standerized format. So I bought the Seagate 5 Gb. Microdrive from the seller. When I got it, my camera would not read the card. So I contacted Seagate, thinking the card was bad. Seagate informed me that they do notmake Microdrives for Digital Cameras. They said they have not released to ST1 Microdrive for sale to the public, that it does not conform to CF industry standards, and that it is designed to only work with one type of MP3 player. The seller has sold more than 30 of these drives for the purpose of Digital Camera Memory. This is fraud. They are selling a product that has not been released for sale to the public, for a purpose it was not intended, and for a purpose it is unable to preform. The seller states in the auction that they will gladly accept the Microdrives back, but for a restocking fee. This is a scam, plain and simple. So I emailed a "few" of the buyers who bought the Microdrives, as I did. Only two, of all the folks I emailed got a drive that would work. All of the rest of those folks are waiting on refunds... less the restocking fee. Which is close to $30.oo each. Even after I have explained tothe sellerwhat the manufacturer has said about the drives, they are still for sale on Ebay,for a much higher restocking fee. I want my money back. I would like them to change their auction so others will not be scammed out their of money as well.

I forgot to mention the outrageous shipping charge of $15 to ship a box that costs $3 to ship. Oh well, you get the Idea.

If you got robbed, file a claim !! The more claims the better our chances.

-- Wolfy

Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:28 PM   #16

I've just bought a Seagate 5gb Microdrive from eBayto useon my Ipaq PDAwith exactly the same result(the PDA doesn't even seem to know the card is there)- I've posted it back to the seller and requested a refund quoting this forum but if I have no luck then I'll be joining you on the PayPal claim route....
anthony.potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:43 PM   #17

:!:Update:

I received an email from another Ebay buyer who got robbed. He added a tid bit of information I did not know. The CF type II industry standard is 3.3 volts. All of the Seagate ST1Microdrives that do not work are 5 volts. Just one more thing to prove these cards are not CF type II compliant.

-- Wolfy
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:36 PM   #18

Madwand wrote:
Quote:
I have the same model microdrive (same model number: ST650211CF), P/N: 9AF212-001 Date: 05107. It worked fine in a 300D and a 20D. I formatted it using a card reader under Windows 2000 for FAT32, 32K sectors. I doubt that the formatting would be the issue, butperhaps a low-level drive check would help?

My drive is also marked "For Embedded Application Only". Perhaps Seagate started enforcing this; disabling their standard CF capability (for unknown reasons).

I have posted before that the Hitachi 4GB microdrive is significantly faster in a 20D, and (perhaps I didn't post this before because it is speculative) potentially less power-hungry. The Seagate did seem to be power-hungry in the 300D. I would shoot for a day with my wife, she using the 300D with the Seagate and I using the Hitachi with the 20D. I'd take 4 times as many shots, and she'd run low on battery first. This is not definitive, but a potential indicator -- there are many more variables than the CF card here. (Slightly more battery power with the 20D, different lenses, different camera; it's nothing as obvious as her looking at a bright screen all day / shooting with flash on while I'm not -- we were shooting similarly, and she was shooting less than I was.)

This is to say, in my opinion, the Hitachi is a superior drive and the better buy. Especially now, when the prices have dropped and you might be able to find it for retail prices that people used to hack apart Muvo players to obtain, I think thatthe retail Hitachi isthe better buy, despite the slightly larger capacity of the Seagate.

I should also add to the "worked fine" comment that I experienced some data loss with the Seagate. It's speculative, but I guess that I might have exposed it to a magnetic field from the back of an appliance -- I watched the data getting corrupt and disappearing while I was reading it in that position from a card reader onto my laptop. I had done the same thing with the Hitachi moments earlier without a problem. I also experience some drive disconnections with the Seagate that I've never experienced with the Hitachi. I'm not sure about the causes, butthe Hitachi is faster, more reliable, and potentially less power hungryin my case.

I purchase 3 xSeagate Drives (5GB ST1) on Ebayto the seller "USBETC*COM" but on the auction says:

This Microdrive is BRAND NEW, NOT Pull Out from MP3 Player"

Firmware: FW 3.04

Ideal for Professional and hobbiest photographers that shoot and store large volumnes of high-resolution digtial photo.

Work for SONY F 828 For Sure

But i dont know if this drive will work on my Canon EOS Rebel Digital 300D "Kiss Rebel", if any person know, please let me know !

Madwand, you say : I have the same model microdrive (same model number: ST650211CF), P/N: 9AF212-001 Date: 05107. It worked fine in a 300D and a 20D.

But, what is the diference between this ST650211CF and other models of the same 5GB Microdrive?

Icant WASTE $450 dollars on 3 microdrives if this CF doesnt work on my CANON EOS D300

Any solution?

alejandroborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:04 PM   #19

:idea:

Hi,

I'm not sure if it will help but there are firmware updates on the rio website for their mp3 players. I've read somewhere one guy got his locked hitachi pulled out of ipod miniworking after he updated firmware in his rio and reformatedhitachi in it. I dunno if it updates the actual microdrive or only flash memory in rio but might be worth a try. There are old firmware versions on the website dated 8/4/2004 when creative muvo still had working firmware loaded.

http://rioaudio.com/

If anyone could try that and tell us if it works, that would be amazing. I have 2 microdrives that i bought from ebay and both cannot be read by the camera...
Geomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:16 PM   #20

Geomatrix wrote:
Quote:
:idea:

Hi,

I'm not sure if it will help but there are firmware updates on the rio website for their mp3 players. I've read somewhere one guy got his locked hitachi pulled out of ipod miniworking after he updated firmware in his rio and reformatedhitachi in it. I dunno if it updates the actual microdrive or only flash memory in rio but might be worth a try. There are old firmware versions on the website dated 8/4/2004 when creative muvo still had working firmware loaded.

http://rioaudio.com/

If anyone could try that and tell us if it works, that would be amazing. I have 2 microdrives that i bought from ebay and both cannot be read by the camera...

Yeah, if you do find out, please share here! I'm very curious as well!
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote