Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:42 PM   #21

Hi all - I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else. I have the 5GB ST1 with Firmware v3.04 that doesn't work in my Canon EOS 20D.

I bought the Creative MuVo2 FM 5GB MP3 player as it also has the ST1 in it.

I took the ST1 out of it, and put in the ST1 I had previously - the ST1 I took out, has NO firware revision written on it.

Anyway, I put the FW3.04 into the MuVo and the MuVo showed the message "Firmware Error" - it asked me to reload the Firmware. Why would the MuVo do this unless it was a firmware issue with the Drive itself?

So, Creative e-mailed me the Firmware, I loaded it and away it went.

Now, the ST1 I took out of the MuVo STILL does not work on the EOS 20D, but what I have found out is this (sorry for waffling):-

The OEM ST1 drives that have FW3.04+ or that are pulled from MP3 players ARE fully compliant BUT have had the CF/II interface DISABLED in the Firmware, and ONLY work in IDE mode.

Consequently, what I think is that someone needs to hack the firmware file that Creative send out to reflash the MuVo.

If anyone is into firmware hacking, I have the file and will gladly e-mail it.
eosforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:03 AM   #22

jjamesb wrote:
Quote:
I'm having a similar issue with my Canon 20D. I have had access to testing serveral of these drives, and out of the three that I tested, only one of them worked. Because Windows isn't all that effective about giving usefull partition information, I dropped my SanDisk card reader onto my linux box, and ran the "fdisk -l" to find out the information about the drive. I have tried replicating everything about the working drive, and have not been able to get it to work. All three of the cards have the same model number (ST650211CF) and same P/N (9AF212-001). Does anybody know if I could fix this issue with the IDE version of the type 2 CF reader? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Working Drive:
Disk /dev/sda: 5000 MB, 5000970240 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 608 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 607 4875696 b W95 FAT32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(604, 254, 63) logical=(606, 254, 63)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Non Working Drives:
Drive 2
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 608 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1 1 608 4883728+ b W95 FAT32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drive 3
154 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 9548 * 512 = 4888576 bytes

Dear JJAMESB

I have a program (software) to copy the partition or DISK info to a FILE, to be placed or cloned on other HD later..

please download this software.

http://www.alejandroborja.com/partition_copy.zip

This soft runs under DOS (you need to create a diskette wih this software) and reboot your machine with the Seagate ST1 connected, with F5 key you can choose the Drive, and select the partition and copy this to a file.

We can try to format my ST1 with this exact information.

I think this is the solution.

Because i check the information of ALL my 3 Seagate ST1 and i have the configuration of your NOT WORKING DRIVES...

With this software i can change the partition info, but the combination of your WORKING DRIVE is impossible or incorrect (by the logic of the program)

For these reason i need to COPY the partition or disk info from a Working Drive.

Please help me to solve this issue

because i have 3 x SEAGATE ST1 (5gb) but doesnt work with my camera.

Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: zip partition_copy.zip (93.0 KB, 750 views)
alejandroborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:59 AM   #23

Did anyone of you guys tried to make partitions in the seagate microdrive? Maybe this could be useful if there is a software ide locking of the microdrive, and at least we could use a part of the storage with our camera...
:roll::roll::roll:
kazalola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 6:46 AM   #24

Has anyone tried the above .zip file application? I'm in the same boat, Seagate ST1 to go into a Fuji S7000 - my friend has purchased a 4gb Hitachi, and no probs, once formatted it goes straight into his Fuji M603 (lesser spec than S7000) with full 4gb capacity!!!).
ashleyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:59 PM   #25

Anyone???
Old May 15, 2005, 10:15 AM   #26

I'm in same ripped off boat!
I have a Hitachi 4gb. I was going to clone the partition with Ghost, but my pcmcia card reader doesn't function with the seagate and Ghost doesn't recognize the Seagate in a usb reader. Anyone have suggestions about pcmcia readers/Win xp/ and the Seagate? Does this hardware problem indicate that lowlevel format won't change incompat issues with the camera?

Scuppers

scuppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 11:12 AM   #27

scuppers wrote:
Quote:
I'm in same ripped off boat!
I have a Hitachi 4gb. I was going to clone the partition with Ghost, but my pcmcia card reader doesn't function with the seagate and Ghost doesn't recognize the Seagate in a usb reader. Anyone have suggestions about pcmcia readers/Win xp/ and the Seagate? Does this hardware problem indicate that lowlevel format won't change incompat issues with the camera?

Scuppers

I have tried to read the microdrive in pcmcia card reader, but not work. Then, I have tried use another usb card reader, it works fine. So, try to read in different reader. Good luck!
seagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:00 PM   #28

I can read and write the ST1 with the USB reader. I just can't use my partition utilities with the USB. I thought the Pcmcia might, and it worked with the working Hitachi drive.

Scuppers
scuppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 3:44 AM   #29

Hello,

I bought a muvo2 drive and get the ST1 drive. The firmware release was not printed on the drive. I tried it on a 20D, a 300D which both displayed an err99 when I tried to format the drive. A dimage A2had no more luck.

I connected the ST1 tomy computer using an USB compactflash reader.

The drive is detected as a removable drive. There is only one large partition (can't remember the exact size) formated using FAT32. This partion is not removable. I can not try to repartition the drive.

I tried to reformat the drive which was (guess what!) useless to my 20D.

I connected the ST1 tomy computer usingan IDE to compactflash adapter. During thePOST, the drivemodel andversion (3.04) weredisplayed.

First boot under windows 2000:

The drive is still detected as a removable drive. There the samelonely large partition which is unremovable. Same results under partition magic

Second boot under Linux:

Things are quite different. The ST1 is a classic IDE drive. I ran fdisk and first I felt affraid: there wasmany partitionsand I believed I was fdisking my own computer drive.

Fdisk detected 3 novell partitions followed by aWIN 95 FAT32one.Was myST1 previouslytested by someone and thenbrang back to the shop? I cleaned this messand I created a single "b" type partition. Formated under windows, the drive was stillnot workingin my 20D

I also tried to create a single "b" type partition begining at cylinder1 and ending at cylinder 607 to copy jjamesb . I was not morelucky.

Under windows, It was seen as a removable drive with a single partition followed by 8Mbytes of unallocated space.

In both last tries windows did not permit me to modify the partition table of this "removable drive".

If anybody want's me to run a different test, go ahead and ask me: my idea tank is empty! But please be hurry up. I willbring back this drive to the shop for refunding on wednesday. :!:
eye-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:20 AM   #30

I still can't understand how this problem hasn't yet been cracked, I'm going on holiday this Thursday and really need to use my drive, going to be gutted if it doesn't work ;o(

Would it not be possible to hook up to this drive usingg your IDE connector, and grab the firmware from it, then decompile it?