Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 31, 2005, 3:02 AM   #31

ashleyhall wrote:
Quote:
Would it not be possible to hook up to this drive usingg your IDE connector, and grab the firmware from it, then decompile it?
I would be happy to trybut I don't knowhow todo.I have not seen any flash utility on seagate website.

eye-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 11:00 AM   #32

Seagate are arseholes, I appreciate this drive was developed for use in OEM products, but go to the effort to actually rebuild the firmware to specifically disable a feature!! GRRRRR infuriates me!

Borrowing my friends Hitachi 4gb drive that he managed to format completely (full space) at FAT, so works fine in all Fuji's ;o)
ashleyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:25 AM   #33

It seems like the whole problem is about properly partitioning the drive - have you tried erasing MBR (eg. fdisk /mbr)??
wodz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:37 AM   #34

Apparently its a hardware issue, the actual interface that allows the drive to work via the Compact Flash 2 technology has been disabled.

My friends 4gb Hitachi drive works fine in his Fuji M603 Zoom digital cam, yet it doesn't work in my Fuji S7000!? Seems bizarre, my camera simply won't read it, yet it works fine and gives over an hour of 30fps video in his!!
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:04 AM   #35

It IS a hardware issue. The CF2 interface has been disabled, and therefore the drive will ONLY work in IDE mode (that's why it won't read in a CF reader on the PC as well).

eosforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:51 AM   #36

Wow, just spent 20 minutes reading this thread. I wish I had BEFORE I bought my drive off of Ebay.

Does anyone know anything about the 4GB Seagate version? I just purchased the 4GB from someone saying that it was made for the iPod Mini.

I am hoping that it is OLDER than the 5GB version and therefore not locked.

I just hope it is a CF II type connector, the seller didn't mention anything about it.

That's what I get for these late night impulse purchases.

I have an S1 BTW.
brj8826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:31 AM   #37

iPod hard drives don't work either.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:30 PM   #38

I have a Seagate model ST650211CF not that I bought off ebay but got out of my Rio Carbon. The volume control broke and I opened the unit to try to glue back on the volume controlwith no luck. I found how to get the unit open from the following URL http://www.greghughes.net/rant/Perma...3260040f1.aspxbutcouldn't get it to stay glued on. Aftergoing through the web page and seeing that he got the drive to work in his Nikon D70I decided to pull the drive out and try to do something with it so that it wouldn't be a waste. I was able to put the drive in a Canon Rebel XT and format it. The display on the back then read that there were 999 pictures left to be taken (only because it couldn't display more than 3 digits). We took numerous pictures and downloaded them to a computer to verify that it worked. I then put the drive in an HP Ipaq and it was able to read it just fine too. I wanted to sell this on Ebay but reading all the problems people have had with this drive off of Ebay I wonder would I get any buyers. My drive does not have a firware version printed on it it does say for embedded application only and the date says 05106. HMMM?
jasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:31 PM   #39

Jasdan, check your PM.
brj8826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 2:06 AM   #40

Sounds like an advert to me, his first post, it works yet he wants to sell it?! duh!?!