Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:24 AM   #1

I've read on dpreview forum that the newer generic 1GB cards should work for 640x480-fine 30fps movies on the Canon S1 IS. I've noticed while looking on ebay that the cards look a little different than the one I have (which btw I got a year and a half ago or so).

If I got a card that looked like this one....

would I be assured of getting a card that should work with movies?

Btw, the card I have now looks like this one...

and does NOT work properly for high-res high-rate movies.

I had a microdrive for a few months but learned my lesson about getting undurable memory considering the way I sometimes treat things... (and I also got an extended service warranty from the store I bought the S1 IS from for the same reason but I haven't had to use it yet)

I pictured Sandisk cards, but would be willing to look at other brands.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2

my advice, $0.02, and so on.....

if your trying to go cheap on the card you'll pay later. the particular model showing there in your image is the baseline model from sandisk. it is possibly the slowest card on the market depending on the device it is used in. approx 1MB/s max

when purchasing a card you need to look at many factors. when the difference in price between the lowest end 1gb sandisk card and the 2nd from the top the ultra2 is approx $22. along with a much higher sustained transfer rate capability (up to 10MB/s) along with a lifetime warranty for some that might make the $22 difference go away.

now the transfer rate is dependent on the device you are plugging your new card into. on my 1Dmk using a 2gb ultra 2 cf card the rate is about 3.9MB/s. using the cf card you showed its a blazing 1MB/s.

now i take my ultra 2 and put it into my 1Dsmk2 and it will now do approx 7MB/s and the other pokes along at 1.1MB/s

the camera maker trys to optimize the cameras for speed and power consumption.

you will also note that both of my cameras still do not reach the max xfr capability of my card.

decisions decisions

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:40 PM   #3

I'm trying to find out the best deal I can get for something with at least 1GB capacity with which I can record 640x480fine 30fps movies on my Canon S1 IS. I'm seriously considering turning to ebay as that's probably the only place something will even start to come CLOSE to what I am able to afford.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:22 PM   #4

Anyone know what memory cards (especially standard cards) are capable of sustained write speeds of 2MB/sec?