Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:06 PM   #1

hello all,

I've decided to take the plunge and get a 2nd hand E-10 after much deliberation. However I made the call to Jessops and enquired what memory card came with it and was told it was a 16mb which will be useless. Now I haven't looked at memory cards at all and I want to get the camera tomorrow and don't want to be ripped off by jessops.

Sooooo...what type of card do I need to get i.e what model. I know I'll probably need about 256mb but can you post some links of some good cards so Jessops don't swindle me out of a fortune! I'd like to be able to do stiches so is the E-10 capable of that and therefore do I need an olympus card?

Please reply as I need to hit the shops tomorrow!

Thanks,

Tom
Heavymental is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:06 PM   #2

I used to own an E-10 and as far as I know there wasn't a special panorama mode that required proper Olympus memory like on some other models.

It's not a lightning fast camera so a Jessops own brand memory card should be fine as long as they are cheap.

The E-10 can only take cards up to 2GB in size (Because it uses FAT16) and it's not cable of accepting the micro drives because the power supply to the card isn't up to it.

New Sandisk Ultra II 256mb cards are going for about £20-£25 on ebay.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3

Tom,
My reply is a little late, but...FWIW...
The E-10 has two memory card slots...SM and CF.
Since you are talking about a 256 MB card, I assume you are looking at CF cards. SM cards are cheap...if you can find them...but the max capacity is 128MB.
Now...which card? First, I should say that I have had an E-20 for about two years, so I know a little about these cameras. The E-20 is very similar to your E-10. Both cameras are VERY slow to write to memory, so buying a fast card is a waste of money.
I would suggest that you buy a generic card...Lexar or Sandisk. My local store runs periodic sales on them for $69 in the store, with a $20 mail-in rebate.
Bert
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
I'd like to be able to do stiches so is the E-10 capable of that and therefore do I need an olympus card?
I assume you mean panoramas...is that right?
You can do them with any card, but you need pano-stitching software. I use Photoshop Elements, which has a very nice pano tool.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5

Hmmmm. I posted a response to your question yesterday, and it's not here today. What's going on?

I have owned an E-20 for a couple years, and I think much of my experience will apply to the E-10 as well.

AS Paul says, the E-10 is slow to write to memory, so buying fast CF cards would be a waste of money. I buy the generic cards.

I would differ with Paul on the Micro Drive, though. I have a 1GB IBM MD and it works fine in the camera. Of course, it eats the battery up, but I have the Lithium-Polymer power battery pack that fits on the bottom of the cam, and it will power the camera for a week of shooting with the MD! However, now that CF cards are so cheap, I hardly ever use it.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Administrator

Bert Bigelow wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm. I posted a response to your question yesterday, and it's not here today. What's going on?
Actually, you posted your responses in the Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers Forum

Here is where they are:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

Thisquestion was cross posted to two different forums, and you responded to the thread in the other one. ;-)

I noticed the cross posting, but decided to leave it that way (sometimes I will move/merge cross posted threads so it's not confusing to users who are not aware of responses in another thread).

But, since this model is not as popular as some, I elected to leave both threads in place for better visibility, in the hope that he'd get some useful responses. In hindsight, it may have been better to merge them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Update -- the two separate threads with this question have now been merged together into this one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:03 PM   #8

Thanks Jim. I was wondering what was going on.

Looks like Tom is not coming back anyway, so much ado about nothing.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:26 AM   #9

Sorry about that...was in a bit of a rush over the christmas period. Read the replies and hit the shops. I got myself a 256 sandisk card although I think I paid a bit over the odds its doing the job fine.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Heavymental is offline   Reply With Quote