Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1

I have a Kodak DC 3200 that I use with a 128 cf card. I needed to use the card to write a program to be able to network my computers. I did this , but in a fog when I had finished, I reformated the card on my computer {XP}instead of the camera. I also did not delete what was on the card first before reformating. Now when I put the card in the camera it says it needs to be reformated. I try to do this in the camera and it looks like it will work then gives me an error of format failed try again? Which I did several times. I then checked the card in my computer and it shows that only 120 mb is able to be used. I can't seem to clear the card. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks, Ron
CAPTAIN RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #2
Administrator

By default, newer versions of Windows use a 32 bit FAT when formatting media, which is not compatible with your Kodak.

I have seen users report that once they accidently formatted a card with Windows this way, they were not able to get their cameras to use it again, even after formatting the card as FAT (FAT16). But, most of the time, reformatting the card as FAT using a card reader corrects the issue

Try formatting the card using Windows again, making SURE you select FAT as the File System Type from the drop down list. It's probably a good idea to use the "safely remove hardware" icon before removing your card reader or camera after formatting, too (just to make sure that all buffers are flushed to the media).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3

JIM,

Thanks It works great now. I still seem to have lost the use of 6 mb. But that is better than not being able to use the card at all. I had to use a card reader that pluged in by usb instead of the built in card reader on my computer.

I did not have a "safely remove hardware" icon and with XP there was no remove hardware in the control panel.

I do have a computer that has windows ME I could use, but I am not sure I want to mess with it again. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ron
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll normally see this (safely remove hardware icon) in the bottom right on the task bar (down by the system time) when you have removable media plugged in.

Using this option forces Windows to flush any writes that are still cached in memory to the card (that way, you don't remove the card before everything is actually written to it).

A common cause of corrupted media is when users remove media, mistakenly thinking that Windows has finished writing to it (when in fact, sometimes disk writes are still being cached in memory).

Another way to handle this is by making sure that you have the "Optimize for Quick Removal" checked under the Policies Tab for the drive letters you use for removable media. You'll find it by "right clicking" on a drive letter, then going toProperties, Hardware, Policies:

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks Jim. I won't worry about the 6mb then. I did want to have use of the whole card as I bought an Olympus E-10 off of ebay and it will be here next week. Which I realize now was a mistake. :?

I bought it because:
1] I thought it would be better than my Oly c-3030 for doing ebay. Now I realize that what was wrong was caused by operator error. I just did not know how to use the Vivitar 385 with it. Still not 100% but closer now. I am using it with the Oly cord to attach it to the camera.I also have another 385 I am using as a slave. Both with umbrellas.

2] I had already bought the 128 mb cf card and thought I could kill two birds with one stone.

3] I wanted to stay with Olympus because I had all the extra lens and things for my Oly c-3030. I should have read "Steve's Digicams" a little more. I would have found that the filter size was way off and none of my extras will fit it.

So, it really does not matter about the lost 6mb. But I wish to thank you very much for helping me to get it this close. And I promise the next time I decide to buy another camera, I will read "Steve's Digicams" a lot closer.:-)

I will for now just keep using my Oly c-3030 as it seems to do the job ok and I like it anyway. I just need to do more practice with the strobes. Which I would have to do with any new camera anyway. I post this for those who may be following along and won"t make the same mistakes as I did .

Thanks again , Ron