Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

I would like to get a compact flash card for thr Konica Minolta A2. I would like to get a 512MB or 1GB card but would like it to have a fast write speed (I THINK THAT'S WHAT I NEED). What would be the best card to get?

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Rob
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #2

Hello RobT. I use Lexar CF cards with my A2. First two I bought were 512mb, 40X.

Lexar utilize write acceleration in their cards and although the A2 doesn't, for that matter KM don't subscribe to the write accelerationscheme at all, I bought them to make sure I wouldn't have any bottleneck. It is thought by many that you perhaps don't need the speed of the pro cards but a series of tests by other users did show that performance justified the purchase. Of course, when used with a USB 2.0 card reader you get much faster uploading of your pics to comp. This was a big factor for me.

Since then I havefound that it's difficult to get hold of the 40X cards, now been replaced by 80X !! As I already had two 512mb I didn't mind splashing out on a Lexar 1gb 80X card just recently. At least now I've got a bit of back up.

If you don't have a phobia of buying on line then the cheapest i've seen so far are here for £71.99 for 1gb 80X. http://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acata...pactflash.html

If you do, like me, and prefer not to buy online unless necessary, then what I do is find the cheapest current price online with a U.K. based etailer ( see above) then armed with a print out take myself along to my local Jessops and they match the price. They did for me and have done numerous times in the past. I don't know anyone who works there, it's just what they do. Saved myself £53.00 on their price. Of course it wouldn't matter which make of card you decide on, they would match the price.

The only possible problem may be that your local Jessops may have to order the card in, but if you have to wait it 's worth it.

Finally ( phew !! ) I would suggest that you consider two 512mb cards, just in case of an, albeit unlikely, failure of the card. It can happen. You would be slightly less upset if you lost only half your images if you've had a busy shooting day. But if you expect to fill your cards more than occasionally then maybe the 1gb, then another.......the cost is always coming down.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Stevekin,

I think I will give Jessops a try, I have two of their stores just down the road from me so I might not have to wait for them to order one in.

Thank you again for your help.

Rob
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:30 PM   #4

You're welcome Rob. Let me know what you ended up getting and if it was from Jessops or whatever.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote