Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:30 AM   #1

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1GB Sandisk Ultra 2 Compact flash card for my Nikon D70.

I have priced them up in the UK and the best deal I can get is around the £80.00 mark.

However I have seen plenty on Ebay for £30.00 - £40.00 which is half price,but the snag is they are shipped from the far East i.e. Hong Kong, Singapore etc.

Have any of you purchased one from Ebay? if so was it OK, I know that Nikon is made in that part of the world therefore it should be cheaper butI am also aware that this part of the world is known forproducing copied goods and ripping off brand names.

The pictures of the card's looks good on Ebay and they look genuinebutwe all know how good the counterfiters are.
bilirubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:26 AM   #2

I've never purchased a memory card (or anything for that matter) from a seller from southeast Asia. But I would be leary of such a deal. Not so much for the quality of the goods sold (because, as you noted, many of our "professional" gear is manufactured there) but because of the inability to contact them if there is a problem. Because of the cost you mentioned, eBay/PayPal's warranties should cover a defective card (or one that is never sent) but it's a big pain... and British (and much international) law probably won't apply to those sellers. (Also, don't forget about the possibility of HIGH shipping costs.) There's a reason why many "western" sellers prohibit buyers from Indonesia and other southeast Asia countries from bidding on their items.

Caveat emptor.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:35 AM   #3

As always, feedback from buyers can be very informativel
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have taken all of your comments on board and agree with what you say, as the saying goes "If a deal is too good too be true, it normally isn't"

The shipping costs are very low due to the size of the package, something else that makes it a bargain, but yes, if it goes wrong will they want to deal with me once they have had my money.

This buyer will beware!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5

I buy stuff on Ebay regularly.

In fact both the actual camera (Panasonic FZ20) as well as a new 1Gb SD card arrived two days ago. The best thing to dois to post a link to the ebay auction and then I'll have a look for you. It's not as bad as people say.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:11 AM   #6

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and offer of helphowever after a bit of research myself and reading the feedback on this guy on Ebay I have taken the plunge.

I paid £51.00 for a 1GB Sandisk Ultra 2 Compact Flash cardwhich includesP&P.

The cheapest I could find this card for on the open market was £92.00 so it is a saving of £41.00 or half price whatever way you look at it.

If it turns out to be con then I would have learnt my lesson however they are all new and boxed and mounted on card so I thought it worth a chance.

I will post a message here when I have received and tested it to let you all know howI got on.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:46 PM   #7
Administrator

I buy products on Ebay from time to time. But, for the most part, I try to stick with reputable vendors, using the price search engines to find the best deals (and I double checking their reputations using tools like http://www.resellerratings.com).

One thing that you have to watch out for is counterfeit products. I've seen reports of counterfeit batteries (with packaging almost identical to the "real thing"), counterfeit CPU's (actually, genuine CPU's that were relabeled to higher clock speedsby counterfeiters), etc. Sometimes you can spot these because a simple typo is made in the packaging or labels. Sometimes the counterfeits are pretty good.

So, you may even run into counterfeit memory cards, too (although I haven't seen this one reported yet).

From my perspective, it's pretty darn competitive now. So, if someone has a product that considerably less expensive than one the reputable online discounters are selling it for (since many work with very thin margins), then it raises a "Red Flag" with me.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:57 AM   #8

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the input, I must admit I have based my decision to buy purely on the positive feedback they have on Ebay, it was over 3,000 as well as the look of the product i.e packaging etc.

However ifthe 1GB card I have purchased turns out to be a 64mb card with a 1GB label on it then I will have to deal with it via Ebay.

I have spoken to friends that have been on holiday to Singapore etc and they say that the electrical products inc photographic equipment is half the price we pay here in the UK, so I am keeping my fingers crossed it is the genuine article.

I will keep you all posted.

Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:08 AM   #9

Hi Folks,

I am pretty new here after getting my FZ20 last week. I am from Singapore and am not a seller of anything camera related.

While doing my research on SD/MS duo procards. I found that the prices here are considerably lower than the best the internet could offer.

have a look at these websites from locally based stores.

http://http://www.eastgear.com

http://www.flashcard-bestbuy.com/

However, my guess is shipping to your part of the world would make the transaction more expensive.

PS, A holiday in Singapore is a great idea. Just remember to bring your Visa cards. Although cash gets you a better price.
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:05 AM   #10

Hi All,

Well I said I would keep you posted when the card arrives, and arrive it has.

I opened the package and out popped a brand new Sandisk Ultra 2 1GB compact flash card.

The card was enclosed in a small plastic case and was mounted on card, this was allsealed with plastic, and the plastic was sealed, the only way I could get into it was to cut it with a knife.

I put the card into my Nikon D70, formatted it and was told via the LCD display that I could take 296 pictures in JPEG fine or 94 Pictures in RAW.

I have taken a few test shots and downloaded them and all seems fine so it looks as if I did get a genuine bargain.

The card cost me less than half price.