Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:20 PM   #1

I would like to get at least a 1GB, 24x CF card for my S1 IS.

I was thinking I might be able to wait until May or June '05. What do you think prices of 1GB, 2GB, and maybe 4GB cards should be by then? (Sandisk: Ultra, Ultra II, Extreme, etc, or Lexar: 24x, 40x, 80x)

It absolutely MUST be able to record full-length (card capacity or 1GB) 640x480 fine 30fps movie clips without problems.
I want at LEAST 1GB. 2GB or 4GB or 8GB would be better. (I would be willing to get multiple cards if pricing would be better that way, but the minimum per card is 1GB.

Looking at ebay (buy-it-now, not bidding auctions), right now the most I could afford (if I don't get anything else - I'm also looking into getting a DVD+/-RW dual-layer internal drive and maybe a PDA) would be a high-speed 1GB card (Sandisk Ultra II or Lexar 80x) or standard Sandisk 2GB card. (would one of these work for video? A thread on dpreview.com says it would but does anyone here have experience with it?) Come May or June I might be able to maybe add $100 to that budget to bring it up to about $250 or so. BTW, that budget INCLUDES tax and/or shipping, where applicable.
I really would like to spend much less, though, if possible. Main thing I want to know is what should prices of above mentioned CF cards be in May/June 05, compared to now?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:28 AM   #2

I have an ATP 1GB card that takes 600 pics on Large Superfine.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:03 PM   #3

that doesn't tell me anything.

and I know today is 04-01..

but..

I need a card that will take full-length (1GB / whatever) MOVIES without getting the red "!" !!!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4

san disk 1gb ultra II-630 shots at superfine, 8 1/2 min highest res movie mode, had for 6 mns no prob, so far street $89..
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks. i know about sandisk ultra/extreme series and lexar 40x+, but...

what about sandisk standard (the new label)? or less expensive lexar? I think the 4x wouldn't work, seeing as my 12x 64MB doesn't. What about a 24x lexar (or similar speed)?
Also what about other brands of cards? which ones work for top-quality "full-length" video?