Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:11 PM   #11

I installed the Canon software and attempted to download. Only the 256 meg was recognized. Software prompted to load 1 gig card (which was loaded). Same as HP Photsmart printer.
Bureaucrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:17 PM   #12
Administrator

Here's what I would do if it were my card.

Put a different card into the camera, and run some tests. First, format the card (different card) using the format menu choice in the camera. Take some photos, then format the card again.

After doing that, insert the card into your Photosmart Printer, and see if the image files on it are recoverable.

Download this free utility (Digtal Image Recovery) to use for this purpose:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

It's a zip file that contains a .exe file you'll need to run. Make note of the drive letter of your HP Photosmart (you said it was showing up as F).

When you start the utility, choose English as the language. You then select the source drive letter for the card, and specify a destination folder on your PC for the files to be recovered to (you can browse existing folders and pick one).

Leave everything else as default and press the start button. It will then read through the card (without any regard for the File Allocation Table entries), and try to write any images found on the card to the specified folder.

If that works, then you'll know that the camera format does not actually overwrite the data (sometimes they do, but most of the time they don't). A format using most devices and operating systems only overwrites the File Allocation Table (leaving hte data readable by utilities). Then (if that works), we'll know if it's reasonably safe to try and format the problem card with the camera to see if we can read any images on it.

We don't know if it can format it yet, but it's the only device you have available that seems like it may give you that option right now.

If so (and we can test a different card first to make sure it will work), then you could format the problem card using the Canon camera, and use the utility to recover the images. But, don't do that until we make sure we can recovery files that way (using a different card to test with).

If the camera can't see the card, you may want to try to find a card reader. I've had problems with the way HP was insulating the card reader from the operating system in the past with an HP Photosmart I owned with readers (so a separate reader may be needed).

Here's what the utility will look like when it's running:
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:37 PM   #13
Administrator

P.S.

That the camera thinks it's seeing some of the card is a good sign when you connect it. If we can't get the camera to work with it, you can probably get a card reader to see it (at least well enough to format it with the operating system and recover images from any section readable). But, take one step at a time, testing as I mentioned above first.
You may end up needing to get a card reader to get where we need to be with it (but, they're very inexpensive, usually around $19 for a USB 2.0 reader at local electronics stores).

Then, we can proceed with that (but don't try to use the operating system to format the bad card unless we get to that point, since you don't want to use the wrong File System Type (Windows defaults to a 32 bit FAT, and your camera probably used a 16 bit FAT for a 2GB or smaller card). Even though the camera supports a 32 bit FAT, we want to make sure it matches to when the images were taken (which would have probably been a 16 Bit FAT).

As long as we can get to where we can see the card with utilities, you can probably get the images back (and if the camera can't format it, the operating system probably can with a reader, since it sounds like the Canon software is trying to see at least part of the card with the camera connected).

Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:56 PM   #14

Thanks for assistance. It did not work. Not ready message, continuous. I tried it in both the printer and camera.

I will give the birthday girl the bad news.

N

:sad:

Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:58 PM   #15

I tried a card reader. I also connected the camera to computer with USB. Nothing works.

Again, appreciate your help. I think the Ultra II card is dead.

Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Administrator

It happens, but if the camera is trying to see 256mb, with the 1GB card installed and connected to your PC via USB, it seems like a card reader could see the card (at least well enough to try and format it).

Are you sure the reader is working? It may not be compatible with a 1GB card (some aren't).

It may be a "dead card", but more often than not (if it wasn't broken out of the box), it's a corrupted File Allocation Table.