Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:12 PM   #1

I have no idea how to use electronics, i got a digital camera and a 128mb SD memory card that is compatible with it, the camera works without it, but not with the card. How do i get the card to work in the camera?? Please help!!
lostinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:40 AM   #2

I can only think of a few possibilities.

1) Faulty card or camera, does the card work in someone elses camera, does someone elses card work in yours. If it's new take it back to the shop and get them to test it or show you how it works.

2) Is the card properly inserted in the camera? All the SD cameras I've seen it is a fairly possitive action when the card locks in so you should be able to tell.

3) does the camera have an option in the menusn to tell it whether to use the internal memory or the card. I've seen some Kodak cameras where it can be set to ignore a card andonly use internal memory.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:59 AM   #3
Administrator

Make sure you don't have the card write protected, too. Secure Digital Cards have a tiny switch on their side that you can move from a locked (write protected) to unlocked (normal for taking photos) position.

Does the camera recogonize the card as being there at all? If it does, you may want to try formatting itwith the camera. You'll find a format menu choice somewhere in your camera's menu system.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:21 AM   #4

This is another complaint. In a google of "sandisk ultra ii memory card error" and "sandisk unltra ii card locked" I finda lot of complaints. This is not fault of the camera. This is not the operator error. The card is not locked. This is poor production/design from Sandisk. Way too many complaints. In my case, I have lost lots of pictures, most irritating. To think that Sandisk advertise this piece of garbage for its reliability!

Thankfully, I bought this shoddy product from a reputable retailer. But how can I retrieve my pictures?

Sandisk does not want to receive any complaints by e-mail. Try to find a way to do it! The company is irresponsible.

Bureaucrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:41 AM   #5

You can't be 100% that you have a faulty card until you try another card in the camera. Or have you tried using a card reader and copying data from your computer to the card??? If you cannot write to the card or if another card works in your camera then you can be sure your card is bad.

I wouldn't go completely sour on Sandisk. There is no company that can achieve perfecttion. Defects can and do happen. I've used Sandisk cards for several years with no issues. I've even dropped cards, washed them, even stepped on them, without any adverse effects. If, unfortunately your card is bad, I'm sure the retailer you purchased your camera from would be willing to swap it out for you.

I'm curious, since you say you've lost lots of pics, did the card ever work in your camera??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 4:54 PM   #6

Yes, the 1 Gig card worked for 3 weeks. Limited use - 100 pics. Infant failure for sure.

I have an older 256 meg that works ok in my 2 cameras andHP Photosmart printer. The 1 Gig does not work in any.

I say that Sandisk is playing foul with its customers because this is exactly what the indistry did when floppies started to become a cutthroat industry. It cost $0.20 cents to make a floppy that was sold for $1 to $3. Rather than test or change processes, the manufacturers decided just to offer lifetime warranties and replace failed media. I was a distributor then and this was general knowledge.

Look, on your desktop you have many mediums of storage. You can back up on USBs, DVDs, CDs, hard disks. On the camera, you take it on a tour or vacation for 3 weeks and you have no alternative storage than your trusty Sandisk. I paid DOUBLE the price for Sandisk assuming I was getting quality. That is what Sandisk advertise their product as:

"Yoram Cedar, SanDisk's senior vice-president of engineering, said, "The SanDisk Ultra II CF and SD card performance has been achieved by using SanDisk's new high performance controllers with advanced firmware and our high capacity 0.13 micron NAND memory. Over the past several years our system designers and flash memory engineers—working closely together—have gained tremendous understanding of the combined flash card system. This has enabled us to generate a highly optimized overall flash card operation that yields leadership write and read performance while maintaining an exceptionally high level of reliability and compatibility with the large installed base of CF and SD hosts. In addition, our new controllers are based on a cost effective, high performance 32 bit ARC core that enables very high bandwidth data transfer from the host bus to the NAND memory and reduces to a minimum the internal flash card system processing overhead."

There are way too many e-mail messages complaining about failures of SD UltraII. Flash memory is highly reliable. Anything over1:100,000 failure is unacceptable. Your good luck with your equipmentis not relevant. There should not be more than 3 or 4 failures in the entire Ultra II stock yet we see way more. Sandisk's marketing of giving lifetime warrenty and then its reliance on a give-back policy for an unacceptably high failure rate sucks. Itsucks just as Verbatim, Dysan,Memorexetc policies sucked.

Myother complaint is no e-mail to send tech questions or complaints. That has to be Sandisk accepting a policy of high failure, low quality and doesnt want to hear about it!

Myreal question is, how can I retrive my photos?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:16 PM   #7
Administrator

What cameradid it work in for 3 weeks, and what is it telling you when you insert the card and turn the camera on?

Explain what's wrong with it (errors, not being recognized at all, etc.). Chances are, it's only a corrupted FAT.

Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:08 PM   #8

Canon s2 1s in display mode:

"Memory Card Error

card is locked"

In my HP Photosmart it says "Card access error"
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:32 PM   #9
Administrator

Card is locked error in display mode. That's odd.

There is a small write protect switch on the card. But, it shouldn't impact the ability to read from it.

Move the switch back and forth to see if there is any difference, in case it's stuck in an odd position (not making a good connection), and make sure it's in the unlocked position.

When did you notice the card being bad (any errors trying to take photos, etc.)?

Did the card ever work in the printer (I'm assuming it's got a card reader built in)? If not, the printer problem could just be a compatibility issue (some devices have problems with larger cards).

Can you see the card under "My Computer" when it's in your Photosmart (even though it's giving you an error). Your Photosmart should show up as a removable drive with the card, unless it's not letting the operating system know it's there when it gives you the error.

What errors do you get if you try to use it in record mode (or does it even recognize that there is a card)?

What happens when you plug the camera into a PC (does the PC see it)?

Do you have a card reader (other than your HP Photosmart printer)?

Have you ever formatted the card?

If so, exactly how did you do it (using the camera, using Windows, did you specify a file system type)?

We need to know what can see the card, and what limitations we have.

Chances are, based on the types of errors you're seeing so far, the devices are recognizing that there is a card. That's good. In most cases like that, the card is probably not bad. We just need to figure out how we can read it using recovery software (and sometimes that means we need to format a card in order for recovery software to read it).

Try to answer the above questions and let's see where we are, so we can figure out the best way to go with it.

Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:51 PM   #10

Move the switch back and forth to see if there is any difference, in case it's stuck in an odd position (not making a good connection), and make sure it's in the unlocked position.

I did this with no effect.

When did you notice the card being bad (any errors trying to take photos, etc.)?

Yesterday at a swim meet. No errors. After 10 pics I started to hear a peep when shooting and it had stopped.

Did the card ever work in the printer (I'm assuming it's got a card reader built in)? If not, the printer problem could just be a compatibility issue (some devices have problems with larger cards).

Yes, earlier I had downloaded pictures onto the harddisk thro the built in card reader on the HP printer.

Can you see the card under "My Computer" when it's in your Photosmart (even though it's giving you an error). Your Photosmart should show up as a removable drive with the card, unless it's not letting the operating system know it's there when it gives you the error.

My computer recognizes F disk as a removable disk.When I try to read it, it asks me to insert the drive into the reader.

What errors do you get if you try to use it in record mode (or does it even recognize that there is a card)?

In record mode it says "memory card error".

What happens when you plug the camera into a PC (does the PC see it)?

Have not done this.

Do you have a card reader (other than your HP Photosmart printer)?

No.

Have you ever formatted the card?

First use only - 4 weeks ago.

If so, exactly how did you do it (using the camera, using Windows, did you specify a file system type)?

Followed the camera instructions and formatted in s2 1s camera.

We need to know what can see the card, and what limitations we have.

It seems that nothing sees the card.

Chances are, based on the types of errors you're seeing so far, the devices are recognizing that there is a card. That's good. In most cases like that, the card is probably not bad. We just need to figure out how we can read it using recovery software (and sometimes that means we need to format a card in order for recovery software to read it).

Try to answer the above questions and let's see where we are, so we can figure out the best way to go with it.

By the way, since I started to play with the cards, I can no longer fit either the 256 meg or 1 gig card into my old camera (Minolta Dimage F100). The cardsphysically stop 2/3 way down. Just happened!