Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

I just got my 5GB Seagate Compact Flash Micro Drive (ST650211CF) (Date: 05217) and when I put it in to my Cannon G5 it says CF Error I cannot format it since it just shuts its self down....the drive works fine using card reader and I have tryed formating it differenct cluster size..and nothing...any solutions would be great...thanks
neo5556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

does the card list any FW (example FW: 3.04). It should be listed on the back of the card by the bottom.
jjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:29 PM   #3

Quote:
believe I have figured out the issue, but would like conformation. The drives that appear to work properly are drives that do not have any information regarding the firmware that they have loaded. Firmware information can be found on the back of the card towards the bottom. It will list FW: 3.04 (example). If your card is missing this, then there is a good chance it will work as a Type II compact flash card should. If it does have the newer firmware, it is incompatable with Compact Flash IO, and can't be used in most digial cameras.

This theory comes from the 4 ST1's that I have had access to, and some further research in forums regarding the the ST1's reliablility and usablility as a CF/II. Once retail 1" drives are available it may be possible to get the firmware to load on these drives and use them once again as a Compact Flash Card, but as of right now I don't see any way to retrieve the firmware off of the drives that have the older firmware loaded, and get it to load on the new drive. Seagate's technical data gives no indication on how firmware can be verified, or flashed.
Here is a brief explaination that I posted in the other thread.
jjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:42 PM   #4

yes it says

FW: 3.04
Model: ST650211CF
Date: 05217
P/N: 9AF212-001
S/N: xxxxxxx

thanks for the help
neo5556 is offline   Reply With Quote