Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:33 PM   #1

I'm about to purchase a digital camera which uses CF but I'm not at all accustomed to these things.
I only read some reviews of that stated Sandisk is way too low in quality, pictures are grainy and all...
I wonder if it's true, because the price of Lexar is definetely higher and I'm really puzzled what to buy.
I am thinking 512Mb or 256Mbx2.
Also I'd appreciate if anyone suggests me any online shops where prices are decent.
Thanks.
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:38 AM   #2

In my understanding, Lexar cards have a better warranty.

Sandisk cards may seem cheaper than Lexar, because they make a slow 4X card that is cheaper. And slower. Be sure you are comparing cards of the same speed, when you price shop. I have found that Lexar and Sandisk cards of the same speed generally go for pretty much the same price.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:41 AM   #3

Rooy wrote:
Quote:
I only read some reviews of that stated Sandisk is way too low in quality, pictures are grainy and all...
Is this true? I thoughtCF cards don't effect thequality of pictures, only the camera does? I have only used Sandisk CF cards and they are good cards.
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:38 AM   #4

Amuse wrote:
Quote:
Rooy wrote:
Quote:
Is this true? I thoughtCF cards don't effect thequality of pictures, only the camera does? I have only used Sandisk CF cards and they are good cards.

No, it's not true. CF cards are just solid state memory devices. That would be like saying Microsoft Word's spellchecker misses more words when running on a Western Digital Hard Drive compared to a Seagate hard drive. Now, it may be that Sandisk cards are more cheaply made, more prone to failure and are slower (I don't know if this is true... my understanding was that in general all CF cards of the same speed class were about the same), but that won't affect thequality of the corresponding image captured.

Edit: Re shops.Besides camera shops, remember that CF cards are sold all over the place. Places like Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy,and other electronics sellers (Tiger Direct? PC Mall?) all cary them. And while some of the stores won't sell the fastest cards, most will sellpretty much the same product. And at least one of them is bound to have a sale.... Without giving a specific recommendation,Ijust want to remindyou not to limit your search for cards to the "usual suspects" (like Adorama and B&H)

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:37 AM   #5

Hi Rooy,

Take a look at my thread re buying cards on Ebay, I have just bought a Sandisk Ultra 2 Compact Flash card, 1Gb for £51.00 inc Postage and Packing on Ebay.

The card is fast and gives me nearly 300 pics in JPEG fine mode on my Nikon D70, in RAW mode it gives me 94 shots.

I paid half price for this card i.e. £43.00 (The P&P was £7.00), the cheapest I could find the same card in the UK was £84.00.

I would say there is not much between Sandisk and Lexar, as the other guys are saying, Compact Flash is Compact Flash, I prefer Sandisk but each to there own.

Mike (UK)

bilirubin is offline   Reply With Quote