Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:57 PM   #1

Just bought an 80X CF card for my new camera, a Canon Pro1. Camera reads it fine, but my lexar Jumpshot card readers won't recognize it. What reader do I need? - H Benjamin
hbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:18 PM   #2

suggest you call Lexar on that subject of the JS cables.

any good cf card reader like the retail lexar cf or multi readers will work along with the sandisk and delkin readers. if you have a USB2 or firewire port the JS cableis slower then either of those. i advise the USB2 for compatability with other systems you might need to use.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82974

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82975

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...30421&sp=2

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:47 PM   #3
Administrator

hbenjamin wrote:
Quote:
Just bought an 80X CF card for my new camera, a Canon Pro1. Camera reads it fine, but my lexar Jumpshot card readers won't recognize it. What reader do I need? - H Benjamin

As SJMS suggested, I'd contact Lexar and ask them about it. Sometimes, Lexar even bundles the Jumpshot readers with the 80x cards.

It's been a while, but I did get a Lexar "USB Enabled" Card once that wouldn't workin a Jumpshot reader. Only their USB Enabled Cards will work in these readers (since the USB circuitry is built into the card, versus the reader). So, the card was probably defective. But, since I had other readers, I didn't worry about getting it replaced.

I guess it's possible that Lexar has made some changes so that you need a newer Jumpshot Reader for newer cards. But, your best bet is probably to contact them about it:

http://www.lexar.com/support/lexar_support.html

If you do need a different reader, I'd just get a USB 2.0 multi-card reader if I were you. These are quite fast, and you never know if you'll get a device that may take a different type of media.

You'll find some reviews of popular models under the Accessories Reviews Menu choice on the main page. Lexar and Sandisk readers are popular choices (and you don't need a USB Enabled Card for these to work). Note that prices have dropped since these were reviewed (they are quite inexpensive now):

Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader

Sandisk USB 2.0 Reader

Note that theSandisk 12 in 1 reader that SJMS posted a link to is a newer model. It would probably make a great choice (especially at $32.00delivered), and it supports more media types than most (which may be handy if you get a new PDA, mobile phone, etc., using one of the new smallerfootprint media types).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

JimC hit the nail on the head. I had the same problem just recently and contacted Lexar here in the U.K. The Lexar jumpshot leads will only read USB enabled cf cards, which was fine for each of the 512mb 40x cards they came with. Then I bought a 1gb 80X, which didn't come with a reader, at least not here, and could only read it in my R300. I don't think that there are jumpshot leads to read non USB enabled cards, but there are USB enabled Lexar 80X cards, of which my new one of course is not. Hence my call to Lexar. I do however urge you to ensure you get a USB2.0 reader. Any of them will read your 80X card. I use a Lexar USB2.0 cf reader and have just picked up a Belkin High speed USB2.0 reader/writer. I never realised just how slow the jumpshot lead was for uploading to computer until I got these. Both work very well.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:23 PM   #5

Oops !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote