Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:50 PM   #1

I'm trying to find out if the 4gb microdrives will work in the A200. I understand the 4gb drives use the fat32 file system. so the camera using them must also use the fat32system. as opposed to fat16 for 2gb microdrives. (this is from Hitachi's website). thanks for any help.

steve
detroitrustcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2
Administrator

The specs for the A200 are the same as for the A2 for memory compatibility. So, yes, the Hitachi 4GB Microdrive should work.

With the A2, I have seen some users report needing to format the drive in other cameras before (or use other tools to get rid of hidden partitions). But, this has been mostly drives yanked from Muvo players. You don't want to try that on the newer players (as the drives in themare not CompactFlash compliant). Likewise, you don't want to try non-Hitachi drives (the Magicstor drives are notorious for problems in some models).

But, the Hitachi 4GB drives sold as CompactFlash II drives should work. The camera does have problems supporting drives larger than 4GB (as some users trying to use the new 5GB Seagate drives have found out). But, repartioning the Seagate Drives to a 4GB partition seems to solve it.

BTW, the Microdrives areslower in operation compared to high speed CompactFlash Cards (Sandisk Ultra II, Lexar 40x, Lexar 80x) if speed is a consideration. They'll take almosttwice as long to write the buffer out to disk after a burst of shots compared to some of the high speed CompactFlash cards, based on tests I've seen users perform timing RAW file writes.

Video clips will also beshorter if you need this ability (users have been reporting that video stops recording at between 2 and 5 minutes with the Hitachi 4GB Microdrives, depending on the cluster size used when formatting -- since the buffer is filling up much faster than the camera is able to write to them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply Jim. I'll probably be taking this camera to Europe this summer and i'm looking at getting lots of storage. Write time is not so much important as total memory. I'll be doing some video but nothing more than 1-2 minutes at a time. I've found some good prices on the microdrives lately. I'm sure I'll pick up a high speed CF II card too. Any recommendations? I'm looking at Lexar or SanDisk cards. Thanks again.

steve
detroitrustcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Administrator

detroitrustcity wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply Jim. I'll probably be taking this camera to Europe this summer and i'm looking at getting lots of storage. Write time is not so much important as total memory. I'll be doing some video but nothing more than 1-2 minutes at a time. I've found some good prices on the microdrives lately. I'm sure I'll pick up a high speed CF II card too. Any recommendations? I'm looking at Lexar or SanDisk cards. Thanks again.
I'd probably go with a Lexar 80x or Sandisk Ultra II. BTW, some of the user tests I've seen show that the Lexar 40x cards are just as fast in the A series models (but an 80x is probably easier to find, and just as inexpensive since card prices have been dropping).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote