Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:56 AM   #1

Default ibm microdrives

went down to the local camera store yesterday and checked out the ibm microdrives. when i asked what they had, they said that they carried the 1 GB drive. when i asked about the smaller capacity drives, they said that the smaller capacity drives are older technologhy and have had more problems/failures than the 1 GB drive. my question...is the salesperson correct? should I stay away from the smaller capacity drives under 1 GB?
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:03 AM   #2
NHL

He's correct, the older drive is more power hungry, but I'm not sure about problems/failures:

There's the older 170/340 Mb drives (you can only get 340Mb now)

The newer 512/1G drives. I would get the 1G over the 512Mb since the price differental does not justify it!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:04 AM   #3

I don't think there is a problem with failure the smaller microdrives - I have my 360M drive after almost two year's use. I do think the smaller microdrives do have issues like more power, less compatability, and most important - they are smaller.

The point of having a microdrive is to have a lot of memory. Go for the most you can get - I don't think you are going to save any money (on a Megabyte/$ measure) by getting a smaller microdrive.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 3:15 PM   #4
NHL

Older 170/340Mb series:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/170340mbsheet.pdf

Newer 512Mb/1G series:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.pdf

Application guide with power and timings info between the two families:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro...guide_v110.pdf

... It is interesting to note that the older series while drawing more current is actually faster at starting up! Just like everything there's a trade off, oh well...
Old Nov 25, 2002, 4:24 PM   #5

I have personal (bad) experience with the 340 MB drive... it died after 2 years and 8 months of fairly infrequent use . Never physically abused it (dropping or otherwise) and never removed it from the camera. While it worked, it was nice to be able to take virtually unlimited shots.. although it was pretty slow processing them and got slower the more shots it had recorded. I would have to dump the pictures to my PC and purge the drive to get any reasonable response times from it. Also, couldn't use continuous shooting mode with it.

When I contacted IBM tech support about repair or whatever... they said there is no repair service available for it. :shock:

Bottom line... unless you have an ABSOLUTE need for the amount of storage they offer, I'd stick with memory cards... multiple if necessary... no moving parts. Even if a flash card does go bad, you're not looking at losing nearly as large an investment and all your eggs won't be in one basket!
karlbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:05 PM   #6
NHL

Have you try a disk utility?

Not working in a camera does not necessarily means the drive is dead. Try it in a laptop PC card slot. The 340Mb draw lots more initial current than a 1G, and possibly your old camera battery can't provide it anymore... What camera was it? Do you have any means of using an AC cord?

Let us know what you find... They are non-repairable (just like a flash card!)
Old Nov 25, 2002, 6:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the repsonse!

The camera is a Casio QV2000UX. Haven't tried a disk utility since i don't have a laptop. As far as the battery power goes... i'm using rechargeable NiMH's and it doesn't seem to matter whether they're fully charged or not. i just tried the ac cord and it still doesn't work. The 8MB Kingston card that came with the camera works just fine!

I've read some posts from back in 2000 (same timeframe i bought my drive) and saw that others have had similar problems... same symptoms (noise, camera display indicating the "card" needs formatting, etc. Tried formatting but it fails in the middle. Also just read reliability report/posts at this site.. http://www.robgalbraith.com/reports/..._feedback.html which reports about a 50% dis-satisfaction rate... pretty dismal. Lots of pro's having problems, so what can the meager newbie fair whether shooter expect? I'm really disappointed. They're a lot cheaper now but back in March of 2000 it was a major upgrade that I thought would be worth it. I suppose it was... somewhat... for 2 years of sluggish shooting.
karlbass is offline   Reply With Quote