Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1

I have a Canon S100 digital camera and I am planning to buy a Sandisk ultra-2 256mb CF card.

I'm wondering if my S100 will support this card?
andif this card will helpspeed up the time when I take pictures?

(I am using a original sandisk128 mb card right now and when I take large pictures, it seems kind of slow)

Thanks
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

it may be limited in its capacity capability. just call up canon and they'll tell you the largest card it can use. as far as speed you can put the fastest card in the world in it and it will only use what it can of it. the bottleneck will be the camera itself but it will work.

your biggest issue is the camera capacity limited.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3

sjms wrote:
Quote:
it may be limited in its capacity capability. just call up canon and they'll tell you the largest card it can use. as far as speed you can put the fastest card in the world in it and it will only use what it can of it. the bottleneck will be the camera itself but it will work.

your biggest issue is the camera capacity limited.
ok so if I use this card, I will know that my camerawill write at its maximum possible speed, right?

So it should be a lotfaster when taking pictures compared to the original sandisk card that I am using now?

For the camera capacity, if I put a 256mb card in, it will use up the maximum capacity that my camera is capable of, right?

Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:57 PM   #4

Yes your S100 will write images to the card at it's fastest possible speed if you use a Sandisk Ultra II, but as sjms told you, it can only perform to it's own maximum capabilities. If you use a "slow" card, eg 1X or 2X, they may slowdown the speed. But using an Ultra II, which is 66X speed, does not mean it will perform at that speed,it depends on the size of the buffer in the camera. As this model is now 5 years old I have not been able to find detailed specs, even from Canon. Steve has a review here,http://www.steves-digicams.com/s100.htmlYou may find something useful. The only advantage could be the improved speed when uploading to your computer, especially in conjunction with a USB 2 reader.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote