Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:00 PM   #1
dks

I needsome advice about CF Card Readers/CD-DVD burners. I'm looking for a CF reader that reads both USB compatable and non-USB compatible CF Cards and burns them to CD-R/RW and DVDs.

After purchasing the LEXAR (80x) 1GB card I discovered that it is not USB Compatible and can only be read through the Lexar Firewire reader. This is OK in the studio, but on location ... it's not a viable solution with my current laptop, so I'm looking for a portable reader burner.

Any suggestion, or personal experiences with portable burners that handle CF cards (Lexar 1, 2, 4 GB Cards) which are both USB and Non-USB compatible will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DKS
dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

dks wrote:
Quote:

After purchasing the LEXAR (80x) 1GB card I discovered that it is not USB Compatible and can only be read through the Lexar Firewire reader.

As far as I am aware you can also get the Lexar 80X 1gbCF thatis USB enabled, but that's by the by. Your statement above is partly correct in that it can be read with a Lexar Firewire reader, but not only that. It can also be read by a Lexar USB2 CF reader and a Belkin Hi-Speed USB2 CF reader & Writer. They are both what I use now I also have a Non USB enabled Lexar 80X 1Gb CF card. I had the same (obviously) problem as you when I had a couple of Lexar 40X that came with the Jumpshot leads (usb1) and the newcard wasn't even recognised. Contacted Lexar to be told that any USB2 card reader would read either USB enabledor NON USB enabledcards, but that the jumpshot leads would only read USB enabled cards. So just get yourself a USB2 CF reader and stick with the laptop. Sorry, can't help with the portable burner, Idon't have one.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote