Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

Hi all - I'm using a 256MB SD card that I've used for about a year without any trouble. My problem is that, when I try to download images from my camera to my PC, I can download some photos (say, photos 1-10), but when I reach a certain file (photo 11), the PC locks up and I have to reboot. I assume that there is some problem with the file and the files that come sequentially after that one, but I have no idea what it might be. I've tried downloading bothto my old PC with Windows 98 and a new laptop with Windows XP and I've had exactly the same results with both. Meanwhile, I can view the photos using the camera without any difficulty.

Does anyone know what my problem might be and how I might be able to fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Right now I can't get any photos off the card!

Thanks!
klukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:04 PM   #2

possible curruption of the card. have you done a format?

do you use a reader or the camera to transfer?

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:26 AM   #3

I haven't tried to format the card - will I lose my pictures if I do? I'm using the camera to download the pictures.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:44 AM   #4

It sounds like one of your picture files is corrupt or your memory card is defective. If you format the card you will lose your pictures. You might consider investing in a card reader to transfer your pictures. It's faster and you should be able to get all of the pictures transferred. Once you have done that then try formating the card in your camera.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:55 AM   #5

now lets get down to business.

1- if you format the card you will not loose your images. what occurs in a format is the information header which tells you where each of your images is and the exif data is erased allowing you card to be overwritten. the images are still there but are set adrift. BUT DON'T DO IT JUST YET. this is why you should take a sledge hammer to any old HDs you dispose of and totally mangle the disks. determined people can stillpull those disks out and recover the data on another drive. isn't technology wonderful? doing a DOD wipe can/will take hours on a spinning HD and is impossible on a "broken" one.

2- get a USB external SD reader of reasonable quality such as delkin lexar or sandisk.

3- get photorescue. currently to me andmore then afew others the best and most unrelenting data recovery program out today. it used to be just for images but its been beefed up to recover just about any data present on the card. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. most people just go through the first step and say it didn't work. it asks you if you would lke to try another method if it didn't get anything on the first pass. YES you do. the second pass takes a while but bypasses the header and extracts the data direct from the memory.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

this program can be tried for free BUT it won't let you save. it will show you what its found. you must buy to keep it. you decide if its worth the price when you can get your images back. yuo'll be surprised as to what it will recover if you only used some of the card. images from months ago may pop up.

i've been using it for about 4 years now and have pulled stuff for other people from SD CF xD and MS cards so far

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:15 AM   #6

I don't pretend to know what your problem is, although as one person says, it may have to do with a specific corrupted file. Which brings me to my next point: can you look at the directory on the card using Windows Explorer? If you can, rather than downloading automatically, try downloading (copying) the photos from disk to computer one by one, until you come up against the "problem" file. Then next time skip it and continue trying to download the other photos (if possible). If that single photo is corrupted, you might at least be able to save everything else this way.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:48 PM   #7

Hi - I want to let you know how much I appreciate the replies - especially since your advice worked! Based on the advice I received here, I bought a card reader that came packaged with PhotoRescue software. I formatted the card and then used PhotoRescue to rescue my pictures. It worked perfectly!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!