Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:05 AM   #1

As an owner of a fuji s7000 I would like to upgrade the storage, 512 xd cost the same as 1GB CF ultra II 66X ,the camera has CF II microdrive slot. I have heard that the camera will not use the CF I card .So the question is :can a 1GB CF ultra II 66X be used in a CF II microdrive slot?:??
berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:15 AM   #2

According to Steve's review, http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...000.html#specs, yes it can use the 1GB CF Sandiskultra II 66X, which is in fact a CF type I. Usually any camera that can take CF II or a micro drive can also take CF I. Apparently Fuji only officially supportthe use ofmicrodrives in the S7000, but by all accounts it will work. Alsocheck this review, where the confusion is brought to the readers attention, but use of CF I is confirmed. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu..._s7000-review/

Hope this allays your fears,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:59 AM   #3

thanks for that , I had read steves review of the s7000 before I bought the camera but did not pay much attention to the storage side of things. I was hoping for a bit more information from someone actually using this combination and what they think. Thanks again for that reminder

berkshire
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:36 AM   #4

If you checked out this review, you would see that the reviewer states it can use the cards even though Fuji only supports the use of Microdrives. Hopefully someone with an S7000 can confirm for you. Possibly you could borrow a CF I card from someone, or even go to your local camera shop and ask to try one first. You could always ask them to match a web price if you buy it from them. Have you tried asking this in the Fuji forum ? Might have more response there.

Good luck,

Stevekin.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:33 AM   #5

Berkshire, a little further information regarding the use of cf cards in your S7000.

One of the letter writers in the current issue of What Digital Camera magazine (March)explains the omission of CF cards. I quote :

"I own an S7000, and know two others locally who do, and we all use CF cards. Some early S7000 models had a battery drain issue when using certain CF cards.I was told by Fuji that late in the development of this model they realized this, so decided it was best for only XD and microdrive cards to be used, and the S7000 manual was printed as saying to only use those cards. After cameras were shipped, the problem was identified. Many Fuji locations in the world will fix this if the camera is sent in (Fuji North America, for whatever reason, will not). But it is simply a matter of trial and error - many CF cards will work just fine in the camera."

The response of the magazine, (a well respected one), was, "Thanks, you're right. The camera I used for testing was an early 'unfixed' model"

I would deduce from this that if you had an early model you could get it fixed to allow any CF card to be used, (not North America), but if you had a later model all should be well with any CF card. You could, perhaps, contact Fuji with your serial number and they may be able to tell you if your camera was an early one or not.

The time between your original post and now may mean you have sorted this out. But if you are still not using a CF card just yet, then at least nowyour concerns should be allayed.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:05 AM   #6

can announce that i have a sandisk 1gb ultra II running in my s7000 with no problems, recording pics ,movies or battery drain. thanks for the info time and effort you have afforded me.:|
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:30 AM   #7

You're welcome, happy :|

Stevekin.