Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:12 PM   #1

Default Is this a good price on a 128MB Smartmedia card...?

About $70.00 with tax. That's about the cheapest I found it.

http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/biz/fp_47070
NickG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:38 AM   #2

newegg.com has 128 MB smartmedia for $47 and free shipping. Lifetime warranty too.

Here's the address:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...lec+128MB+Smar
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:21 AM   #3

I purchase my smart media from newegg and they are an excellent vendor.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 8:14 AM   #4

But, If I have an Olympus camera, shouldn't I get the Olympus card so that it supports things like panoramic shots?

Oh, and thanks! that IS a good price!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 8:34 AM   #5

If you interested in panormaic shots, you are correct. I found the price for Olympus 128 smart media at this web site:
http://www.********.net/productpage.asp?pn=668081
I have purchased from this site before and the service was good.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:00 AM   #6

I've got an assortment of 128 and 64 MB smartmedia cards. I rarely (actually VERY rarely) have used the panoramic feature, which you are correct needs a genuine Olympus card. If/when I found the need for panorama, I could pop in one of the two genuine Olympus cards that came with my cameras. If you intend to take alot of panoramic photos get the Olympus brand, but if you intend to only occasionally use panoramic, save yourself some money and get a less expensive brand and use the small card just for that.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:19 AM   #7

Yes, that makes perfect sense, but too late LOL. I ordered the card from ********.

But, you know what?...Call me anal, but I just feel better using the same brand of card as my camera. I know they will all work fine, but it seems better to be able to tell a tech that I used all of their brand equipment in case I have an issue with the camera.

I appreciate the input here. Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 4:23 PM   #8

Best Buy was selling Sandisk 128 MB CF cards for $29.99 this weekend. I picked mine up on Friday afternoon.

Great price. Could not pass it up. Also, no real reason to use the Camera branded cards. You'll pay more, and they are probably OEMed from someone like Sandisk anyway.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:39 AM   #9

Jeff,
That's a great price! I'm gonna check that out! Best price I've seen here in Southern California is at a local discount electronics store called Fry's. They had 128 MB...not sure of mfr...for $39.95. They ran a special a couple weeks ago and dropped the price to $35.95, and I missed it! I need a couple more...I have 4 Oly 128 cards now, if I need to do pano. The 128's only hold 33 pix from my E20 in SHQ (JPEG 1:2.7) mode. I have an IBM 1GB MD that I transfer to when I'm traveling...I just put it in, do the transfer and take it out. Maybe I'm being overcautious, but if the camera takes a bump, I don't want to crash the head and lose the pix.
OOOPS...I just noticed you said CF. I wonder if they also handle SM. I need SM, because I want to do the transfer, and the MD will be in the CF slot. Oh well...I should read more carefully....sorry.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 4:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bigelow
Jeff,
OOOPS...I just noticed you said CF. I wonder if they also handle SM. I need SM, because I want to do the transfer, and the MD will be in the CF slot. Oh well...I should read more carefully....sorry.
The price was also good for Smart Media.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote