Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1

Hello all. HopefullyI don't come across as totally clueless but I need some serious help!

My 3 year old camera is starting to have some problems. So I have started to look into purchasing a new camera. I have done some research and narrowed down a list of one's i'm interested in purchasing.

As I said before..hopefully I do not sound totally clueless. But are SD memory cards the same as SmartMedia cards? I see that a lot of cameras are taking these SD cards and they look like SmartMedia, but are they the same? If not, have they discontinued SmartMedia cards in cameras?

I really want my next camera to take SmartMedia because I have so many of the SmartMedia cards. I don't want to have to invest in new types of cards.

I searched and searched the forums here and couldn't find anything. Any info would be helpful. Thanks all!
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:17 AM   #2

Smart Media is different than SD (Secure Digital). The cards are different sizes, and they are not interchangeable. You are right in that SD is becoming more and more popular with the different camera manufacturers. I'm not sure which companies are still making cameras that take Smart Media cards, but I think that they are becoming fewer and far between.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:57 PM   #3

Well that's not great news, but understandable. Things always change. I guess i'll have to start looking at SD camera's.

Thank you for the info!
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote