Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:12 PM   #1

Greetings to you all!

I discovered this site as I am thinking about aquiring a Sony DSC-V3 or a Canon G6... haven´t decided yet...

I have a big doubt that I´d like you to answer... I´m going to buy the camera online, and they propose bundles with the camera. For example there is one like this:

DSC-V3 + A pouch + An extra-battery + A 512Mb Memory Stick Pro.

With the DSC-V3 there isn´t any bundle that includes a Compact Flash (CF) card instead of a Memory Stick Pro (MSP). CF is cheaper than MSP, so I´d like CF instead of the MSP... is there any advantage on using MSP instead of CF with the V3?

With my best regards,
André Batista
HondaCB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:33 AM   #2

this may or may not be important to you

with the 2 types of memory you go on divergent paths

memorystick/MS pro- to date only supported by sony. not one other manufacturer hasmade a serious attempt at support it. thus making it a one trick pony.sony makes lots of multimedia devices that support it. in fact if sony made a blender it would have a MS port on it:-)

supplying a 512 MB card with a 7MP camera is like giving a 24 shot roll of film with a SLR. its something to start with. of course their going to push their format. but that is a non issue. you can leave it in as a backup to what ever you finally choose to use.

advantages are none as i see it. unless you prefer to pay more per MB at this time.

just remember if you go with CF there are many different ones and the "performace" level varies widely. i suggest sandisk ultra 2 or lexarpro cards for the higher level of performance and warranty protection.

CF is a standard more widely accepted in the higher end camera world due to its capacity capabilities which far outstrips any other format today.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:12 PM   #3

To whoever might find interest...

I found out the catch on the MSP/CF situation on the Sony V3.

The V3 can only record 640*480 (not sure if it is only at 30 fps) video on Memory Stick Pro.

Oh, and FYI sjms, I´m not buying the camera on Sony´s site. It´s an european site, www.nomatica.com .

I hate MS, too expensive and only used by Sony... I´ve got a Sony cellular phone that reads MP3´s, and the thing came with a puny 16 MB card... bought a MS Duo with 128 MB... costed me 75€ a year back... :P I´m serously thinking about getting the Canon... If only the V3 didn´t look so good...

Thanks!
André Batista
HondaCB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:39 PM   #4

Hello everyone.

Sony V3 Versus Canon G6. G6 bests the Sony only in the flash accessories arena.

I own a V3 and I have access to several Nikons and Canon cameras through my friendly neighborhood photography clubs. I chose my V3 over Canon for the following features. Laser low light focusing, larger LCD, Batterytime indicator and I happen to like the way the sony menu system works better than the Canon menus on the G6. Both cameras take great photos. I have a friend that has a G series cannon and he allways complained about the low light focusingspeedand once he saw my sony use a laser he started carrying one with him.

CF versus MS

MSPro = 16x CF in speed and if you get a Lexar or Sandisk version you can get one within 10% of the price of CF at retailers. There is another MS manfacturor, I can't remember the name.

MSPro High Speed = 66X CF in speed.

using the MS pro allows you to use the best quality video mode on the V3. IF you are using a CF you are limited to the 16fps video.

MS prices have really come much closer to CF in the USA as of late. (If you do not buy the sony branded ones.

I have a 1G MSPro and 1G CF in my v3. the MSpro is faster.

I hope this Helps

Mike

coolphotobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:47 PM   #5

HondaCB500 wrote:
Quote:
I hate MS, too expensive and only used by Sony... I´ve got a Sony cellular phone that reads MP3´s, and the thing came with a puny 16 MB card... bought a MS Duo with 128 MB... costed me 75€ a year back... :P I´m serously thinking about getting the Canon... If only the V3 didn´t look so good...

Thanks!
André Batista
The CF works great in the V3. I think the V3 is a better camera, buy a 3rd party MSpro. Hey HP and some other laptop vendershave been including MS-Pro ports on their laptops. MS has outlasted the Smartmedia cards. You do not have to pay Sony prices.

MS DUO are way to expensive.. I agree... Sony is slowing adjusting their pricing.. for the better but do not hold your breath.

Happy Cybershot V3 owner

Mike

coolphotobear is offline   Reply With Quote