Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

Hi,

From what i read on the forums, i gather that card reader are very essential accessory given that they reduce the transfer time and save camera's battery life also. So i decided one to buy it along with camera.

What is a good card reader for SD cards. (for canon 510/520).
Are there card readers available for both SD/Compact flash simultaneously.

What are some good brands and what specs to be looked for.

Thanks,
Kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:17 PM   #2

Without a doubt, card readers do both of what you say very well. Particularly USB2 card readers. These will transfer your images to your computer approximately 40 (forty) times faster than your camera !! And of course with them being a USB device they take their power from the computer's power supply.

Almost any branded USB2 card reader will be fine. You can get one for the SD memory that your camera uses, (which will also read Multimedia cards, a slightly cheaper and slower form of SD card). When you say simultaneously I will assume you to mean, can a card reader read both types of card. If so then yes, there are many card readers that can read many form factors.

One I can recommend is the Lexar USB2 Multi-card reader RW022-001. This can do the lot. It may be a bit overkill for your needs but is fairly future proof. Check it out here, http://www.lexar.com/readers/multi.html

There are links to resellers on the site or just copy and paste the name into Google to find one near you. Once again though, pretty much any branded card reader will be fine, just make sure it is USB2.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:53 PM   #3

Thanks a lot Steve....

I shall be ordering that soon when my new camera arrives !

kaz
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Here's my review of that Lexar USB 2.0 card reader:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_..._mcr-usb2.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:33 PM   #5

steve wrote:
Quote:
Here's my review of that Lexar USB 2.0 card reader:

Hey steve..
thaks for the link!
i thought u only had reviews for cameras :-) but this is cool..even accessories...great work !

i read some user reviews elsewhere where they said one needs to install additional drivers for memory stick and memory stick pro....from ur review, i hoping they did a mistake and the reader works fine

thanks
kaz
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:02 AM   #6

Kazaan, with respect to Steve's review of the Lexar card reader, and as usual a fine review, it appears the link I gave you is to a later model which in fact is a 12 in 1 reader/writer.

You shouldn't need to install software or drivers for any of the formats in Windows XP, but if you did with any card reader,don't let that put you off. The later version also reads the newer mini SD cards, the type used in mobile phones. With 12 types of memory card it should cover any camera choice, and let's face it, how many cameras do want ?

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:25 AM   #7
TC3

I use a PQI usb2 card reader i got new and cheap on e bay that reads SD and memory stick cards....no problems at all and no need for fancy card reader that costs a lot more (well not in my case)

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #8

I just got a very compact SD/CF reader/writer that is USB1.1 only BUT the price was unbeatable! Less than $11 total via eBay...It's a "Pocket Reader CR-T2-UD"... the size factor was what sold me..about size of two flash drives side-by-side...
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:51 PM   #9
Administrator

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
Hey steve..
thaks for the link!
i thought u only had reviews for cameras :-) but this is cool..even accessories...great work !

i read some user reviews elsewhere where they said one needs to install additional drivers for memory stick and memory stick pro....from ur review, i hoping they did a mistake and the reader works fine

thanks
kaz

The latest Lexar USB 2.0 reader works with everything, no drivers needed if you have modern operating system. And yes, we got all kind of hardware reviews here too:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

Batteries, card readers, image storage/viewers and more ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote