Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

I have a card reader - it doesn't have a 'proper' brand name (I bought it in Hong Kong a while ago) - but it seems to be the UHR2056

This can be seen here:

http://www.abocom.com.tw/product_detail.php?id=231

My problem is that the "two built-in internal Li-ion batteries" are running out of steam - if I charge them fully, they will only support the download of about 2 (512Mb) cards before dying - which is a bit of a waste of time. I'd like to replace them, but looking inside there are just a couple of wires running into a black plastic covered 'battery pack' with no markings on the outside. I have searched the internet but have not figured out if I can change these.

Anyone had a similar problem?

(please excuse me if this should be in the 'batteries' forum - I'm new here ... at least I didn't post it in both :-)
photobytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2

Perhaps I should have posted it in the 'batteries' forum after all ... any thoughts on this from anyone (the card reader that is, not the forum)
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:46 AM   #3

I think you might be better off getting a new card reader--one that does not use batteries. I have two different readers. One is USB 1.0 and reads SD cards only, and the other reads eight different types of cards and is USB 2.0 compliant. Neither of these takes a battery. They get their power from the USB port on the computer. You can replace the batteries on your unit, but after a couple of replacements, you will have spent more than you would on a new reader. You should be able to find a reader for a single type of card for around $10 or so, and then you won't ever have to worry about batteries again. Good luck.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4

The drive he is talking about doesn't need a computer it powers up on it's own and takes the data off of the card so the card can be used again in the camera. I think I would take it to an electronics store like Fry's and have then find an equivalent battery... they can probably test it, I'm thinking about buying a drive line it called a wolverine.... they have them for $129.00 www.outpost.com try finding a fry's location close to you and calling them to see if they can help you... www.frys.com

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the info - I'll take the drive down to the local electronics store and see what they say. I'd rather not replace it, as except for the battery it works very well.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:15 AM   #6

From the site the batteries are user replaceable unless you can solder and find the right model.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote