Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1

Since the DSLR's I'm shopping for use CF cards/Microdrives, I was wondering what the current performance of the microdrive is.

For normal use, I don't think the performance will matter since all of the DSLRs have enough buffer space to handle shooting-dumping to memory-setting up for next shot.

But when firing off a bunch of shots will the microdrives be able to keep up? From what I can tell, current performance is a minimum of about 57mbit/s for writes on the microdrive. This looks like it is close to CF's 40x speed (6.0 MBs or a little more than 60 mbits).

Do I need to worry? Should reliability/cost be my deciding factors?
ccfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:57 PM   #2

LEXAR says with 80x, it can record at 12MB/sec. HITACHI Microdrive says with the generation of 2GB, 4GB, they can record at 4.3 to 7.2 MB/sec.
And I have tested : When shooting 1D Mark II, Lexar 1GB 80x, RAW file, it takes about 5sec. And S3 Pro, Hitachi 4GB, standard RAW (13MB), it takes about 7sec. I don't know the buffer related to the speed or not, but as I see, maybe they are equal in speed. Or Microdrive at about 70x.
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:08 AM   #3

6 MB/s = 48 Mb/s

For reference, 8 bits in a byte.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:23 AM   #4

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

here is a CF performance database in Dslrs. highly reliable for reference. it will save you all that testing work.

its updated about every 3 months or so. there really hasen't been that much going on in cards lately except for the new 6GB MD. that is only starting to make an appearance. expect a increase in transfer rate vs their older ones. still no warranty increase beyond 1 yr though. on the 1Dm2 the differences in speed, in my opinion, does not reflect in the difference in price ($40). and for those that through out the extended temp range difference flag don't bother. i have used the ultra 2 model from -10f (new hampshire) to +115f (kuwait)so far over the past year. none have failed out of 5 2 GB cards. yes i do own (1) 2GB extreme 3.

addendum: for those who fear the changeover from SLC to MLC on the ultra 2 cf cards her is some data from the 1Dm2:

SanDisk Ultra II 4GB, formatted FAT32 with 32K cluster size[suP]8,11[/suP]
(Edge stamp: BH04092X USA)

SanDisk (MLC)[suP]12[/suP]
I
2005/1/15
5.434MB/sec jpg
6.973MB/sec raw

SanDisk Ultra II 4GB, formatted FAT32 with 4K cluster size[suP]8,11[/suP]
(Edge stamp: BH04092X USA)

SanDisk (MLC)[suP]12[/suP]
I
2005/1/15
5.605MB/sec jpg
6.641MB/sec raw

being that the data is for the 4 GB card i expect that the 2GB will be nominally faster as all previous modelas have been so due toaccessing thesmaller volume.

you asked should reliability be a deciding factor. i can answer that 2 ways

1 do you like to see your pictures after you shoot all the time?

2 do i really need to even ask thatquestion?

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:17 AM   #5

memento wrote:
Quote:
6 MB/s = 48 Mb/s

For reference, 8 bits in a byte.

haha, I just saw these responses and I think I need to have my computer science degree taken away! :?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:22 AM   #6

sjms wrote:
Quote:
you asked should reliability be a deciding factor. i can answer that 2 ways

2 do i really need to even ask thatquestion?

Thanks for all the info. Sorry I'm so late getting back to this, I think my spam filter is blocking my responses from this site.

As to the reliability, if I saw that the Microdrives failed much more than the memory then I wouldn't consider them, though I don't know where I would set the cutoff. I'll look at that link you posted...thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:09 PM   #7

The older Microdrives were very delicate...the new ones are a lot better...still not as reliatel as a flash-based card, though. I still went with the Hitachi 4gb card with my 20D...just so I can have as much space as I can for as little money. I take good care of my stuff, so I'm not too worried about the Microdrive.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:00 PM   #8

sjms wrote:
Quote:

2 do i really need to even ask that question?
There has never been a photographic system, chemical or digital, which is 100% failure proof. Pretty much all failures are caused by bad handling/opperater error - breaking the glass plate negative, mecury poisoning of the Daguerreotypist, ...

There still might be life left in the microdrive - see http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7226, 60G in a camera would make video much more reasonable.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote